New problem in midst of treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnkristie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well here's the issue. I had/have ich in my 250 gallon SW tank. I started hyposalinity and got the SG down to 1.009 about 3.5 weeks ago. It has drifted between 1.009 and 1.011 during this time span. Just checked it and it is 1.010. Now my hippo tang who started the whole ich problem when I introduced him to the tank about 5 weeks ago has developed 4 to 5 large raised white bumps. All other fish seem to have recovered from the ich. These white bumps look different than the ich I had previously. He seems to be behaving normally. No scratching, eating normally, not hiding. What could this be that has developed while at the lower salinity?

It probably could still be the ick as hypo needs to be about 6-8 weeks. You are doing hypo in a QT right and not in the main right?

Still ich? All of the visible ich that I had initally had disappeared on all the other fish and it has only reappeared on this one fish. I thought that maybe because my SG slid up above 1.010 that it returned. And yes a QT, not the main. That is what everything I've read says. But they never explain why not the main?

If you did hypo in the main all your inverts would not make it. That includes your CUC and all life in your LR. As far as the ich you have to remember that the parasite falls off the fish to the substrate and over 200 tomites come from that one parasite and the life cycle goes on eventually overtaking your tank. The parasite has to have a host so if you remove the fish from your main and leave it fishless for 8 weeks then you`ll break the life cycle of the parasite and shouls be parasite free untill you add it back into the tank.

Can you get a pic. It could be ich that has burrowed under the scales or another possibly infection.

I've tried getting a picture of the spots, but the blue tang is moving too fast to get a decent picture. They are all blurry. They have all been in hypo now for 8 weeks and I am still seeing these whiteish bumps that look like they are slightly under the skin of my blue tang. I have also noticed some white cottony spots on one of my percula clowns who is also in hypo. I'm afraid to leave them any longer in hypo because of the possibility of kidney damage. And whatever it is, the hypo obviously has no effect on it. The spots don't seem to be affecting them. They all eat great and don't scratch on objects. Otherwise appear healthy.

The other thing is that my yellow tang (also in treatment) has retreated to the side of the tank, has stopped eating, and all of his fins are frayed at the ends. I don't see any signs of spots on him though. He is getting very thin now.

Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom