Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-28-2005, 09:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

New Royal Gramma Not doing so hot

Just got a new royal gramma from liveaquaria today. Before even putting it into my QT tank(during the acclimation period), it was on its side in the bag. I continued to scoop it up and add it to the QT tank with the other two clowns I got. It kinda swam upside down and sideways around the tank and picked a spot under the sponge filter and hung out upside down. The lights were off the whole time too to put less stress on it. This was around 6 or 8 hours ago. I just looked at it again and it is in the corner of the tank, right side up now, breathing very slowly but still alive. Do you think it just underwent extreme shock/stress during the trip here or it is something more. The two clowns (3/4" long each), are in the same tank and look great swimming all about, my water params are great too.

Any ideas besides just keeping an eye on it?
Thanks.

Old 12-28-2005, 09:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

How long was it in transit? I would contact LiveAquaria right away and let them know what is going on. They are always more then helpful. They can document that it arrived in poor condition and it will help if it does end up dying.

Old 12-28-2005, 09:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

yea i contacted liveaquaria as soon as i saw it ,have any other suggestions on what to do? i see no signs of ich or any other disease or fin rot. Do you think the clowns will be ok in the same tank with it?
Old 12-28-2005, 09:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think the only thing you can do it wait. Give it time to see what happens. Hopefully it will start eating in a couple days. With no signs of disease or parasites I am sure it is stressed from the trip and the acclimation proceedure. Good luck
Old 12-29-2005, 04:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Update:
As of this morning I went down and turned on the light on the QT tank and about 10 minutes later the royal gramma was swimming( slowly still), but still swimming around the length of the tank. He still seems to be hiding behind the pvc pipe and sponge filter I have in there but I get the feeling that this fish likes to hide and hang out on the bottom? Is that a good assumption, I'm going to still keep an eye on him and try to feed tonight, but it does look like its improving.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:01 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Sometimes esp in transit during the winter months are very stressful. The cold might have got to him also. But sounds like he is getting better.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 01:31 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
Royal grammas are pretty solid and he has a good chance of surviving. Just keep his water quality high and stable. You might want to keep the lights low till he turns. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
royal, royal gramma

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com