Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-13-2014, 12:55 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
New sand sifting sea star had green bump!

So i just recently bought a sand sifting sea star from a local petco, and when i was acclimating him i noticed a green sort of bump on his leg, figured oh thats supposed to be there or something. After about a day i noticed it again and it was bigger, after 2 days i noticed the green bump was gone and he had a hole in his leg, any ideas on if it could have been a parasite or something? I have no picture as it is gone now and there is just a small hole in the starfishes leg. Kinda worried if it was a parasite, don't want it affecting my whole tank.

Johnny3334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:10 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Sand sifting stars have a very high mortality rate in closed systems. If you don't have an established deep sand bed and a large tank, it will slowly starve. These are better left in the ocean. That said, I wouldn't worry too much about the predator. If it was eating the star and it fell off of it's host, it's probably dead. No reason to leave a moving food source IMO.
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote

bump, green, sand, sea, star

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com