New shrimp but is one dead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boolay1978

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just bought my first two cleaning Shrimp all my levels are good but them in and a few hours I can see one on its back, not a good sign???

Shrimp are hard for every 5 I buy 1 survives they normally dye quick within the hour !!! Still trying to get a blood shrimp to survive more than 1 day tried again this week put it in 10 min latter he was on his back all my peppermint shrimp do great just the bloods I can't seem to get one 2 live !! I'm trying again Monday

Hmmm, that is strange, we have two cleaners and one blood/fire shrimp and I've never had any problems with them, they do say they are very sensitive to water conditions.

I was in the same boat as you. Bought 2 from my LFS (last month) and before I made it home 1 was completely lifeless, while the other normal and healthy (still have him going strong). Before I left the store they looked the same.

Honestly I can't explain it...luck of the draw.

Never had any problem with shrimp. They've always lived. Peppermint, cleaner, fire. I always acclimate floating the bag then adding some tank water over about 20 min.

You should drip acclimate them using airline tubing with a knot in the middle to restrict the flow. Float the bag in the tank for ~30min, then drip for another 1.5-2hrs. This is the best method for the least amount of stress on inverts/fish.

Back
Top Bottom