Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-07-2004, 09:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

New Skimmer Pics + Results Journal (56k warning)

After going back and forth between a BakPak 2R or Remora, I decided to try something a little different and go with an Advanced Aquaria HV1 skimmer. These are not as popular as the other two from what I can tell, however they are large capacity, come with a surface skimmer box and bubble box, and are inexpensive. What really settled my desicions was the fact that a CPR or Remora surface skimmer/bubble box is between $30 and $40 for what is basically and acrylix box with some holes in it. It is almost impossible to find good pics and information about the HV1, so I decided to post everything here on AA. $109 got me the skimmer, a Rio 800 (bleh), and the surface skimmer/bubble box.

Everything comes in a very plain white box. Cat not included:

Insde the box, nothing fancy either, you can see the Rio 800 tucked up in the side:

Instructions are a single page, which could be OK, however this is not very detailed at all:

Underneath the next layer, we have the skimmer itself. Very simple design, and very well built:

Under that, is the surface skimmer and bubble box. This is much larger than I was expecting:

Skimmer cup was not protected well, but it made the trip fine. It has a cheesy sticker too. it appears as if the sticker is held on with almost nothing, since it was half peeled off:

The cup lid was supposed to be drilled out with a hole for air release. Mine however was not drilled all the way through. I could have likely popped out the remaining material with a pen, but I went for the tools:

After checking over everything, I rinsed off everything in hot tap water and let it dry out a bit. I peeled off the sticker too:

Once the piece dry, I am going to hook this up and see how well it works I am going to keep posting the status of the skimmer since it could be a good deal for others. Or I could have wasted $109

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 09:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

This Rio pump is LOUD!!! 8O

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
Old 12-07-2004, 10:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

The box works well, however I think mine may be flawed because it lets a few bubbles go through underneath the baffle that seperates the outlets area and the bubble trap. This could be a safety feature in case the sponge gets clogged:

My glass top fails to fit now. This is OK because there is a hardware store next to my house that cuts glass and plexiglass. A new piece to the glass top will cost me less than $5:

The skimmer cup tucked away behind the Current USA light:

Here is the collection cup after running for an hour. Not much progress yet, obviously:

Aside from the Rio, this unit is really nice. There are a ton of small bubbles in the reaction chamber of the simmer. I am going to call the manufacture tomorrow and inquire about the bubble trap. I might end up with a Maxijet pump sooner than I expected unless the Rio quiets down a bit. Hopefully, I will start getting some skimmate in the next day or so.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
Old 12-08-2004, 08:26 AM   #4

The rio probably will not quiet down. The noise is due to back pressure. The maxi can overcome the back pressure better which results in a quieter pump. Keep us posted!
Old 12-08-2004, 10:05 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Eh? No way to quiet this monster down? The Rio should make a good paper weight then. Or I can use it to mix salt water in a Rubbermaid bin, it should be able to handle that. Maybe.

This morning I had no skimmate, but I did have about 3/8 inch of foam sitting on top of the water column in the lift tube. Last night, the foam was just all mixed in with the water, now it is more seperated from the water. I hope this is a sign of progress...

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
Old 12-08-2004, 10:56 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just FYI, my CPR pre-skimmer box was only $13, not $30. I think the combo pre-skim/bubble trap is $30, but I have no problems with bubbles on the return.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:12 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

$13 is not too bad and seems like a good price for a skimmer add on. I was only looking at the combo boxes, hence the $30. How long did it take before you started getting good skimmate?

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
Old 12-08-2004, 05:02 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had good skimmate the first day I put it on (I upgraded from a Prizm Deluxe...so it had a pre-skimmer too ...useless piece of junk!).

I had to raise my cup today because my skimmate was starting to look too thin. I've only had the pre-filter box for a week...not sure I really have it adjusted perfectly yet.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:36 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Skimmer has been going for 5 days now. I have some skimmate in the cup, about 1/4 inch deep of brownish stuff, kind of watery. Last night I had a huge blob of foam at the top of the cup and coming down into the cup. Then I stuck a new rock in the tank and moved a bunch of stuff around and the blob died. I keep blowing my own progress by re-arranging the tank and messing with everything. No opinion yet on how this thing really works. I am leaving town for 4 days this week, when i get home it should be interesting (or a big letdown).

I might try a Remora for kicks. It would definitely look better on the tank

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
Old 12-13-2004, 03:04 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to Enygma_0 Send a message via AIM to Enygma_0 Send a message via MSN to Enygma_0 Send a message via Yahoo to Enygma_0
My Remora took about a week to really get going. That maybe the same case in your skimmer as well. The collection cup area is pretty noisy but very efficent. I only had raise my cup up once and after that , voila! I am very satisfied with it so far!

Thanks Captive Reefs!

Tags
journal, pics, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com