Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-26-2005, 11:33 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

new starfish = dead sailfin??

I purchased 3 new starfish and a piece of coral while I was away on business in Milwaukee, WI. 2 sand stars, 1 about 3" the other about 6". The 3rd star is an orange linkia about 4". I also got a great deal on a fairly large piece of Pipe Organ (white) coral. I place them all in the 29 'frag' / qt tank. Day 2 I find my sailfin blenny doa on the sandbed looking like something sucked the juices out of him. I am truly clueless. I have never heard of a sand star 'attacking' other fish and I am not familiar with the temperment of the linkia. One of these buggers nailed my Sailfin though who was only about 3" - 4". Anyone have experience with starfish (Not chocolate chip, etc) turning carnivore??

Old 03-26-2005, 03:37 PM   #2
steve-s

Sandstars are carnivors, they will not aggressively seek out fish as prey but they will definately feed on any dead ones. If you found the star on/near the fish, it would be coincidental.

What other fish are in the tank and have you added/done anything else in the tank? How long have you had the blenny?

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-26-2005, 05:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Blenny was in tank about 3 months. However, wife claims blenny was not active while I was out of town for the week. I suspect she underfed the tank while I was gone and that lead to his death. Case closed as far as I can tell..

Thanks
Old 03-26-2005, 06:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
Hope she doesn't read these posts...
Quote:
However, wife claims blenny was not active while I was out of town for the week. I suspect she underfed the tank while I was gone and that lead to his death.
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 07:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO the fish is not going to starve to death in a week... Water quality issues??
IMO there is no need to QT starfish either..... The linkia will starve if it is not in a mature tank. And do NOT touch the linkia with your bare hands... The oils from your skin will kill the star.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 12:13 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If he didn't starve, then its a mystery. I haven't found anything re killer sand stars. Still not sure about the linkia and its aptitude for hunting. The tank gets a 5G wc every 2 weeks, params are all in line with the exception of ca, it was running about 500PPM due to some experiements with seachem reff complete. (Which may also mean elevated mg levels.) However, ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, etc all good. Corals are doing great, crab, snail perc clowns and CBS all happy as well. New stars are active and happy. Only d00d unhappy = 1 dead blenny..

Tags
dead, sailfin, starfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com