Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-12-2004, 09:26 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
New Tank....need help with setup.....

I just got a 70 gallon tank. 3 days ago I added salt water in and got the Pump started. I went to one of the fish stores and they told me to buy few damsel as it would help me cycle the tank faster......so I bought 7 damsels and added them to the tank.....I went to a different fish store to buy live sand and they said to cycle the tank much faster I can add few live rocks to the tank...that too will help in cycling the tank.....so I bought about 14 lbs of lv rock......

So currently I have live sand, live rock and 7 damsels in the tank.....Is this Okay.......They asked me to turn off the proteim skimmer...upon asking if the UV light matters....they said no, you can leave them on or off...

today, I noticed that one of the live rocks has some dead areas (black with white filmy substance on it).....I am not getting a proper answer as to how to remove it....someone tells me to siphon it and someone tells me to use a toothbrush to scrape it off.....What should I do?????

parik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 09:42 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Are you testing your water parameters? specifically ammonia and nitrite?
The live rock is enough to cycle your tank. Using Damsels is an old, rather cruel way to cycle. Not giving you a hard time, just trying to help.
Dye off on you rock is normal and will clear up with time.
I would try to siphon off the dead area, but more importantly you need to monitor your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. When ammonia and nitrite reach 0, your tank is cycled and ready for livestock.
With the rock you do not need to used the Damsels, IMO you should take them back until the tank cycles.
Also 14 lbs is not much rock for your tank size. Another 50 lbs or so wouldn't hurt.
Good luck

quarryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 10:53 AM   #3
Great advice above... I would also suggest reading these two articles. They will help you alot.

How to cycle your tank with out the use of fish

Curing Live Rock? I didn't even know it was sick!!

If you can find it, I would also suggest reading The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert M. Fenner. It will help you alot.

setup, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com