New tank/sick clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WildFlower

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need help please. I recently set up a tank for my first time ever.. so I'm a true newbie. I have a 46 gallon reef/fish tank I set up about 3 weeks ago. Six days ago I added 2 West Indies? (black/white/yellow) clowns with an anemone that they were already very attached to at the local aquatic store. I also added 4 damsels of which 2 have died, I have no clue why the 2 damsels died, no apparent disease or anything. I suspect one of the more aggresive damsels killed them in the night.

My immediate problem is one of my clowns. A couple days ago I noticed a slime-like growth on his skin, last nite I noticed discoloration to his skin. This morning he looked horrible!!! The black color is fading & the white on him is turning kinda pinkish. Not knowing what else to do and not sure if he has a parasite/ich/velvet, I gave him a 10 minute fresh water dip. He seemed to tolerate the dip fairly well, and because I did not set up a quarantine tank (yeah, shame on me), my only option was to put him back in the tank.

As of the tests I performed last night the water quality does not appear to be the cause of the problem. BTW, he has never appeared to eat or be interested at feeding time, so I am not sure if this could even be a nutritional problem. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to what could be wrong and how to help the little guy? I'd appreciate any advise offered.

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com :)

WildFlower said:
I need help please. I recently set up a tank for my first time ever.. so I'm a true newbie. I have a 46 gallon reef/fish tank I set up about 3 weeks ago. Six days ago I added 2 West Indies? (black/white/yellow) clowns with an anemone that they were already very attached to at the local aquatic store. I also added 4 damsels of which 2 have died, I have no clue why the 2 damsels died, no apparent disease or anything. I suspect one of the more aggresive damsels killed them in the night.
At 3 weeks, the tank is still far too new for fish especially an anemone. In a new tank the chances of the anemone's survival is quite low. In all honesty, I would suggest it's immediate return to wherever you got it. The death of the damsels could be from aggression but more likely a spike in the water quality or the parasite. In the early stages of a new tank NH4 and NO2 are still a big concern ad can easily kill the fish.

My immediate problem is one of my clowns. A couple days ago I noticed a slime-like growth on his skin, last nite I noticed discoloration to his skin. This morning he looked horrible!!! The black color is fading & the white on him is turning kinda pinkish. Not knowing what else to do and not sure if he has a parasite/ich/velvet, I gave him a 10 minute fresh water dip. He seemed to tolerate the dip fairly well, and because I did not set up a quarantine tank (yeah, shame on me), my only option was to put him back in the tank.
Sounds much like Brooklynella hostillis in which case the FW dip may have helped the issue if done properly. I would still urge all the fish be placed in a proper <<quarantine tank>> and treated with <<hyposalinity>>. Brooklynella aka clownfish disease is not solely a species specific problem and once in a closed system, all fish are at risk.

As of the tests I performed last night the water quality does not appear to be the cause of the problem. BTW, he has never appeared to eat or be interested at feeding time, so I am not sure if this could even be a nutritional problem. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to what could be wrong and how to help the little guy? I'd appreciate any advise offered.
What was tested and what are the actual numbers?

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom