New Toadstool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

c0mf0rt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I picked up a toadstool tonight... it's only about two to three inches high.... a light blue color.... and I'm wondering.... this sucker seems a little "stiffer" than the one's I've seen in pictures... he also doesn't really have any of the "knobbies" on his toadstoolie surface... will he get much bigger???? any ideas on placement????

it looks alot like this.... not actual picture... and his "polyps" have been comming out a little

Congrats on your prchase! Give it some time to settle in and it will be fine. They will tolerate varying levesl of light and flow. I have mine under moderate light and pretty high flow. (powerheads are on a wave maker so it ets bursts of flow). These things will grow like crazy and are very hardy when provided with the proper conditions. Lando

Ya give it some time, and they are very hardy. I have one that had algae build up on it so bad that the poylps would not extend. I put it in a higher flow, but the algae would not go away. After about a week of no poylps, I started scraping. I dont recommend this, but I couldnt stand it no more. I tried to blow it off first with a baster, but it didnt work. So I started scraping as gently as possible. As soon as I was done, here came the poylps. Cool piece! Congrats! :wink:

Ok.... I used rubberband to attach the toadstool.... I got really sick of trying to use the super glue gel...... I'm wondering... how long do the rubberbands need to stay there for it to attach???

that's what I'm hoping will happen with mine...... I picked mine up for twenty bucks...... the LFS pretty much sells any soft "coral" for 20/25 bucks...... I'm diggin it..... without a doubt my favorite piece in the tank so far.... and it hasn't even opened up fully yet.......

Not to rain on your purchase but AFAIK (could be wrong), blue toadstools do not occur naturally. Any chance you can post a pic?

It sounds like it might actually be a Nephtheis sp. aka Lollipop tunicate or Blue Palm

Cheers
Steve

Can't post a real pick because my cam is busted..... I did notice something strange today though.... the toadstools reproduce by budding from the base correct????? Well it looks as if this thing is budding from surface... as if part of the surface is going to detach ..... underneath one part of the surface there seems to be a small second stalk..... and it's not attached all that well ... it seems as if it's separating from the rest of the "surface"...... any ideas.... does this sound like one of the things you were speaking of?????

The species I was refering to has a more tappered crown. It looks much like a morel mushroom rather than the wide head of a portabella. Toadstools do bud from the base but they will also split top down it just takes much longer.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom