newbie questions!!!!!!!!a TON!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yigosflower

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
please bare with me & take it easy on me.. im really confused & im more of a hands on learner.. my boyfriend & i are starting a tank soon, we are going to start a 40 gallon tank. we just got the salt.. & the tank so far hehe.. we are going to get everything else of course..
what do you all suggest for flitration? skimmer? heater? chiller? can anyone explain how to build the sump for me.. we should get started on that.. sooon. wooohooo..
we are going to use live sand,, two bags of that should be enough, or can we add some crushed coral to it too?? will that be too much? we are going to be getting live rock too.. how long do we wait to put it in there..

questions about the salt mixing & stuff too..
do i put the sand in first, then the salt, or mix the salt in the water then add the sand? how long til we can add fish/rock?

water questions... where can i get SAFE water? i live in the country, so i dont know how good that would be to just take it off tap.. ?? & my friends live in the city, & that probly has clorine or whatever in it?? what should i use, or how do i get the right kind of water without spending a TON onf money?

sorry so many questions, but im flustered.. please help me!!! =] *eek* LOL
im sure there will be MANY more questions coming from me!! =/

welcome to aa
on the home page there are many good articles in the article section. This will help explain some of the basics of the topics you mentioned.
check out cycling w o fish
sumps explained
curing lr, I didn't know it was sick
For water, check lfs or grocery store, they sometimes sell ro/di water
for setup, fill with plain water to check for leaks, then add sand (there is a calculator on the top of this page to let youknow how muck sand) cover the sand, and slowly add mixed sw. There will be a sand storm, it will subside in a few days as the tank starts to cycle. Then add lr.

The most important thing is patience, it will take months to get the tank how you want it.

*************:pepsi: WELCOME :pepsi:*************
*********To the Choice of a New Generation*********
****************Aquarium Advice*****************

yigosflower said:
please bare with me & take it easy on me.. im really confused & im more of a hands on learner.. my boyfriend & i are starting a tank soon, we are going to start a 40 gallon tank. we just got the salt.. & the tank so far hehe.. we are going to get everything else of course..

Just remember, the more water volume the easier. 40 gal is a smaller water volume and will require more devoted maintenance. What kind of salt?

yigosflower said:
what do you all suggest for flitration?

LR and Live Sane

yigosflower said:

Most people around here enjoy their Aqua C Remora or Remora Pro. I use a Kent Nautilus TE with good results.

yigosflower said:

Won or Visitherm since Ebo Jager folded.

yigosflower said:

I don't need/use one and my tank is at 77.6 degrees, our friends to the south need them.

yigosflower said:
can anyone explain how to build the sump for me.. we should get started on that.. sooon. wooohooo..

A Sump can be as simple as another aquarium or a rubbermaid container. Remember, build the largest that will fit and is serviceable.

yigosflower said:
we are going to use live sand,, two bags of that should be enough, or can we add some crushed coral to it too?? will that be too much? we are going to be getting live rock too.. how long do we wait to put it in there..

I recommend buying your live rock and live sand from Zack at www.liverocks.com and using it to cycle your tank. If you look on this board, everyone, including yours truly, loves their LR. My live sand from them is full of life too. The bagged stuff is as alive as the sand under your couch and a waste of money. CC is not needed with a DSB.

yigosflower said:
questions about the salt mixing & stuff too..
do i put the sand in first, then the salt, or mix the salt in the water then add the sand?

Initially, mix the water and salt in the aquarium is fine. Then take the sand (South Down Play Sand from Home Depot is best) and put it in a plastic bag. Place the plastic bag under the water near the bottom and pour the sand out. This will help prevent sand's natural tenadnacy to sort itself by particle size and reduce the inevitable sand storm.

yigosflower said:
how long til we can add fish/rock?

Cycle with LR and wait until your done cycling +1 month to add fish. SW fish are an expensive mistake.

yigosflower said:
water questions... where can i get SAFE water? i live in the country, so i dont know how good that would be to just take it off tap.. ?? & my friends live in the city, & that probly has clorine or whatever in it?? what should i use, or how do i get the right kind of water without spending a TON onf money?

If you're not going to use RO/DI water, you will have algae problems. This said, many people fight it. I did initally, then bought an Aqua FX Barracuda from Darrin at www.captivereefs.com and have had so many less problems.

yigosflower said:
sorry so many questions, but im flustered.. please help me!!! =] *eek* LOL
im sure there will be MANY more questions coming from me!! =/

Don't get flustered, this is a fun hobby, you just have to do a little research.
[center:9d365a0ff0][/center:9d365a0ff0][center:9d365a0ff0][/center:9d365a0ff0]

Since Bearfan has already answered your questions, and I agree with everything he said (which is not unusual at all :mrgreen: ), I can only add one thing. You would be doing yourself and your fish a favor by picking up a copy of "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner. This book will explain all the basics that you'll need to know about starting your SW tank and will give you a readily accessible reference after you've gotten the tank started. And, as always, we're here to answer any questions you have. Welcome to AA.com.

Sounds like your initial questions have been answered. Take it slow. Put together what you can and take your time. The Fenner book is definitely a must read.

A 40 gallon is more than I started with, but you could benefit from the extra size with a sump. Do research on this and take your time. The chiller shouldn't be needed where you're at.

Have fun. I wish I had gotten into fish when I lived back where you did. I'll be passing through this summer, I'll wave as I go by.

I'll only add one more comment. Well, I should say reiterate a comment already made by darb2.

Patience! :D Patience alone will save you many headaches. Be patient and plan ahead. Do as much reading and asking questions here as you can. Take your time and plan out your tank, where it will go in your home, how you will handle getting the water, wether purchasing the water or a filter. How you will keep some water on hand for "emergencies" Here's some other questions you should ask yourself for planning: Do you want just fish or do you plan on getting corals? what kind of corals? what are they compatible with? What kind of light and water quality levels do they need? Are they agressive? are the fish you want compatible with corals? there are lots of questions you should ask yourself and find answers to before you get too far in. :D And we're here to help you answer those questions! :mrgreen:

thanks soooo much everyone.. i will be a busy little girl th ese next few months, & im sure with lots of questions for all of you..
yes, being patient is the biggest key, & this being so expensive, i will do just that!
we are using instant ocean i have been told by a number of people that this is the way to go..

well, im off to go read up a bit on some other salt related things! =]
thanks again

yigosflower said:
we are using instant ocean i have been told by a number of people that this is the way to go..

I use IO, lots of people do.

Also, I third "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner. I own it, and it taught me a lot, or at least prepared me.

Back
Top Bottom