Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-28-2004, 12:02 PM   #11
First decide what kind of tank you wish to have. Will it remain an FOWLR or will it be a reef tank? That will determine what kind of lighting you will need. Never buy things for the short term, always think of the end result as it will save you alot of money down the road.

If this is to remain an FOWLR for the most part, about 100ish watts of PC lighting would work very well. There are a number of combinations available but I would ensure you are able to incorporate a two ballast sytem that would allow for a seperate "daylight" and actinic bulb.

If you are wanting this to be a reef tank then I would post some additional info about the types of corals that interest you before a better recommedation could be offered.

Old 02-28-2004, 12:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Send a message via AIM to president89
Well if i was going to setup a reef tank. I"m going to set up a larger tank. So i would say i'm going to stick with the liverock and fish only tank. Right now i'm running a stock one flourecent aquarium bulb. So i would need to get a two ballast system one with a flourescent and one with an actinic bulb. I was thinking if thats the case. I would hit up a home depot and pick up a two ballast setup and use that. I thnik they run about $20

president89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 02:07 PM   #13
If you are willing to DIY, I would definately suggest PMing loganj for some imput unless he see's this thread and offers some advice. I am not the person to ask when it comes to electronics.

As far as choices on light, for a FOWLR you will still need a decent enough light in the proper spectrums that will promote coralline growth without increasing the lower spectrum lighting that will fuel nuisance algaes. Standard fluorescents would not be my choice but they will work given enough intensity. I would suggest either a PC or VHO even if you DIY.

salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com