Newbie with Lionfish problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dnut24

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hello, as stated I am new to SW tanks. had the tank for about 3 months now and everything has been fine, no issues. I have a 45 gallon tank with live rock, some coral, 2 clowns, 1 green wrasse, and one blue damsel. a mix of inverts and a cpl star fish. everyone and everything has been fine, no issues until I purchased the fuzzy dwarf lion. I will give a detailed account of the past to hopefully get better help.

last wed, I purchsed the fish, it looks to be a junvenile as it is about 2-3" long. when I put him in the tank, all seemed fine. he did go straight to bottom and cling onto a rock and was sort of hiding. I read that was fine. At night I would get up and check and he was swimming around. the store said he fed so not feed him until Fri. Fri morning I couldn't find him and when I finally did it was because he was on a rock but was very pale and discolored. that night I got 5 ghost shrimp, as soon as I put them in one was unlucky to walk in front of rock he was on and he ate him, so I had no worries. the next day he was nowhere to be found, after searching I found him even more pale and hiding in a little cave. he did not move from that spot all the way to Sunday. at which point I htought he was dead but you can see gills move. so Yesterday (mon) I went to store and clerk says he's not sure, maybe that he's stressed. gave me a few guppies and said to try that. I placed one and ofcoarse drew no attention. so I waited until night and placed the last two in tank. This morning I was happy to see he moved from the upside down hiding spot to laying on and, but not sure if he ate. I flashed a light and he did respond by slowly moving to a rock and hiding against it.

I do not have the water test levels, all I have is I brought a water sample to the store yesterday and the clerk stated "all water levels are normal" the other fish are swimming around like nothing is wrong and no sick looking fish.

So is this "normal" is he just scared and getting used to tank? could it be he was sick before I got him and dying anyways? I asked the shop to take him back and cure him, but they say transportation would be worse than anything. I'm up to the point to remove the rocks so I can see him swim. Sorry for the long post, but I want to make sure I have not left anything out. please someone help. thanks.

mine used to hide upside down in a cave all the time,hardly did any swimming.I think hes just getting used to the setup,try him on some brineshrimp,mine loved it(as a treat)

try to stay away from feeding him guppies. They don't have the nutrition lionfish need. The lionfish I had liked to hide alot and I read that the upside down position is normal for them. You haven't had him that long, so just give him some more time to get acclimated to the tank and the fish. But like I said, don't feed him guppies or any kind of freshwater feederfish. They can develop lockjaw, which can be fatal if not dealt with and fixed.

the hiding from what I read is not too uncommon and I guess I'm not too worried about that. What worries me is the color. Also does anyone know if a lionfish sort of "scoots" around on his fins rather than swimming. He seems to be doing that when he moves.

I don't even think he ate the guppies, like I said the 1st one he ignored and the other fish started tearing it apart after an hour. after placing the other 2 in the morning one was stuck in the water jet and I assume the other is dead somewhere unless he did actually eat it. Should I try to hold out a few more days before putting more shrimp, to make sure he's real hungry?

stuff the guppies? how do I do that? as far as I know he hasn't eaten one. I have physically seen him eat 1 ghost shrimp, dont know what happened to rest, if my brittle star or the other fish ate it, or just plain died. they're so small and transparent, impossible to find. he also ignores the mysis I feed the fish every 2-3 days.

To tell u the truth it seems as if u are a little over stocked... the lion fish might be nervous or not doing well with other fish in the tank?

Back
Top Bottom