Newbie with sick fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you guys for all your help. I apologise if you took my request to not just call the guy crazy as an insult. I wasn't implying that you guys have done that in the past. Most of the LFSs do, though. I guess I'm naive not to realize that they probably are indeed out for my money, which would be why they are saying not to talk to the other guys.

For the sake of argument, though, if his tanks do indeed reach 0.1 nitrites on occassion and his fish live long enough to be sold (I've seen lots of them there for weeks at a time), then I must have an additional problem, because mine are usually gone in 4 days or so. He could be lying about his nitrites going up to 0.1, though. I think I'll take your advice, get a better nitrite test kit, get an ammonia and nitrate kit, and get some more rock. Then I will see if I can get my nitrites down and then give it a shot.

On the ich problem I have one more question... Would it be feasible to take my inverts and rock out of the tank and put them in another holding tank for a while and copper my main tank? Then clean it out really well and move them back?

Would it be feasible to take my inverts and rock out of the tank and put them in another holding tank for a while and copper my main tank? Then clean it out really well and move them back?

No, the copper is harmful to the inverts. The copper will be taken up by the sand/cc, it might even be taken up by the silicone in the seams and slowly released back into the aquarium over time. Also, there is no need. If the tank is left fishless for 4-6 weeks, there will be no ick in the tank. It cannot survive and continue it's lifecycle without a fish host. I understand your impatience, but to be honest, impatience is one of the leading fish killers there is ;)

Also, would it be more benificial to add 40 pounds of sand or 10 pounds of rock, as they're about the same price?

Spoken like a true veteran of this hobby

Maybe, but it is also spoken as someone that has been there and done that. The world we live in has taught us to expect everything right now, I had to learn patience from this hobby ;)

Also, would it be more benificial to add 40 pounds of sand or 10 pounds of rock, as they're about the same price?

More than likely you will get more benefit from the sand, but if I were in your position I would go with the rock. Until you truely understand the dynamics of a sandbed and how to keep it healthy, rock is a better choice.

My new plan is this, in a nutshell...

1) Do two large water changes on the main tank totaling the entire volume of the tank. If there are indeed any chemicals in there, they're coming out. I have the first 20 gallons mixed already.
2) Clean out the filter very thoroughly. I might use bleach on the inside, and I might not. Any recommendations on that part?
3) Replace the biomedia in the filter to add room for bacteria to grow and just to eliminate another potential source of trouble. The bacteria population will take a hit regardless since there will be 6 weeks of no fish in the tank and no feeding of inverts.
4) Empty the QT tank and scrub it down, again possibly with bleach. Sanitize the sponge filter, etc. Mix up 10 more gallons of water in the QT tank and throw the old bioballs from the main tank's filter in to kickstart the cycle.
5) Add a semi-interesting, yet hardy fish to the QT tank to keep me entertained for the next six weeks.
6) Six weeks later, throw the QT tank fish into the main tank and start over.

I know I've stated about a dozen plans thusfar, but this is it. Unless you guys see some big holes in it, this is what I am going to do. Now my only decision to make is what kind of fish to add to the QT tank. I want it to be something interesting so my patience is tested, but not exhausted. The following are fish I want to add to my tank eventually...

neon dottyback
longhorn cowfish
tassle filefish
bi-color blenny
scopas tang

I know the cowfish would be a poor choice because they're fragile. The dottyback would be awesome, but since they're fairly aggressive, he might be better to add last. There is a really small scopas tang at the LFS that I've been eyeing for the last month. I don't know if they're hardy or not. I wouldn't mind another bi-color blenny at all. I don't know how hardy filefish are either. What do you guys recommend?

They also had a neon dottyback that was TR, and and it really wasn't too faded looking. One of the TR dottybacks looked like it was undead - a zombie neon dottyback. Anyway, they're really small, and I hear they're hardy. Is that correct? I love those things. :)

Gauge said:
1) Do two large water changes on the main tank totaling the entire volume of the tank. If there are indeed any chemicals in there, they're coming out. I have the first 20 gallons mixed already.

Wouldn't hurt Just make sure salinity, temp and ph are a match otherwise the inverts will suffer and possibley die.

2) Clean out the filter very thoroughly. I might use bleach on the inside, and I might not. Any recommendations on that part?

If you use bleach make sure it is unscented and not full strength. It is best diluted in 1 part bleach 10 parts water. Make sure it is rinsed extremely well and a water conditioner is used to neutralize any potential chlorine or chloramine.

3) Replace the biomedia in the filter to add room for bacteria to grow and just to eliminate another potential source of trouble. The bacteria population will take a hit regardless since there will be 6 weeks of no fish in the tank and no feeding of inverts.

The bio media is needed for surface area in which the bacteria can grow. Without the bio media there will be less area for bacteria. As well if you do not feed the inverts (shrimp, crabs and such) there won't be any left after six weeks.

4) Empty the QT tank and scrub it down, again possibly with bleach. Sanitize the sponge filter, etc. Mix up 10 more gallons of water in the QT tank and throw the old bioballs from the main tank's filter in to kickstart the cycle.

No harm there either. Just follow the same as above concerning bleach.

5) Add a semi-interesting, yet hardy fish to the QT tank to keep me entertained for the next six weeks.

Do you really think your entertainment at this point is a priority? :wink:

6) Six weeks later, throw the QT tank fish into the main tank and start over.

If you get a fish for the QT just be mindful to properly acclimate it when you transfer it.

I know the cowfish would be a poor choice because they're fragile.

Extremeley poor. They also grow very large and do not do well with other active fish. I would skip this one.

The dottyback would be awesome, but since they're fairly aggressive, he might be better to add last.

Right on both points but still a good possible choice.

There is a really small scopas tang at the LFS that I've been eyeing for the last month.

Small now but by no means a proper choice for 42g tank.

I don't know if they're hardy or not. I wouldn't mind another bi-color blenny at all.

A good fish usually does well in a less aggressive environment.

I don't know how hardy filefish are either. What do you guys recommend?

Not the greatest choice depending on what you get. Most are not very reef safe or "friendly" for that matter. Many are also hard to acclimate to captive systems.

Cheers
Steve

I specifically like tassle fiilefish. I had always heard good things about them concerning peacefulness. Did I hear wrong? :?

This scopas tang is about 1" - 1 1/4" long. He'd be okay in the 42 gal for a long time, I'm guessing. And I don't expect to keep this tank forever. :wink:

What do you do when a fish you buy doesn't fit in a 10 gal QT tank? I heard it's the standard size. Do you just roll the dice and toss the fish in your display tank?

This scopas tang is about 1" - 1 1/4" long. He'd be okay in the 42 gal for a long time

Tangs are not recommended for tanks with less than 48" tank length.

What do you do when a fish you buy doesn't fit in a 10 gal QT tank?

Since the QT is for temporary lodging, it's usually fine. If your buying fish that don't physically fit in a 10g QT, you should have a much larger QT, like a 55g or larger ;)

Those will be the final two questions answered in this thread. One of the great things about a forum like this is being able to view old threads or other peoples threads that have had the same question as you. They become a resource. This thread has gotten so huge, that it is really just bogging itself down. The same questions are getting asked and answered over and over again, this is most likely because of the size of the thread. I found myself having to page back several pages to find some reference material need to answer one of your questions yesterday. Do not mistake, we will answer your questions, but this particular thread has become more of a hinderance to that cause than a benefit. Please feel free to post any additional questions in the proper forum, but this thread has gone so far it really has no 1 topic anymore.

This thread is locked, to avoid confusion on all the issues involved in it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom