Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-16-2003, 05:51 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
Thanks a bunch, Reefrunner. Still gotz some questions for ya, though...

Apparently I don't know what a sponge filter is. Is this simply a sponge that you soak in your sump for a week and then throw on a powerhead in the quarentine tank?

What would be a good "source of ammonia" to put in the tank if I were to keep it going all the time, and how would I know how much to use?

If you don't have hostile fish in your tank, do you have to do the plastic container part? It seems a little extreme for my tank (chromis are wimps). Also, what kind of container do you use? I see LFSs using little hamster running balls for eels and stuff a lot.

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Old 07-16-2003, 05:55 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hara:

I don't really like my system of feeding anyway. Do you have a better recommendation? These cubes of frozen food are WAY too big for my tank. One could feed my tank for nearly a month. I'd love to have a better way of doing it. What is better to feed with than brine?

I've heard that about the higher temps making ich die off faster. It's encouraging to hear the same thing twice every once in a while, hehe.

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Old 07-16-2003, 06:01 PM   #23
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauge
I've heard that about the higher temps making ich die off faster. It's encouraging to hear the same thing twice every once in a while, hehe.
That is only true when a proper treatment is in place. Raising the temperature without a proper cure in place will allow the parasite to multiply faster and infest your fish at an inceased rate. It will do nothing to stem the progress of the parasite.

Cheers
Steve

Old 07-16-2003, 06:01 PM   #24
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Apparently I don't know what a sponge filter is. Is this simply a sponge that you soak in your sump for a week and then throw on a powerhead in the quarentine tank?
Sponge Filter

Uses an air pump

Quote:
What would be a good "source of ammonia" to put in the tank if I were to keep it going all the time, and how would I know how much to use?
You could put a hermit crab or two in there and feeding them regularly would beep the filter built up (to a degree) and the hermits could be put in the sump while the fish is in quarantine.

Quote:
If you don't have hostile fish in your tank, do you have to do the plastic container part?
If there is little chance your fish will have any aggression towards the new fish, no you don't. I use the Lee's critter keepers

Visit Nature Coast Photography
Old 07-16-2003, 06:10 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Steve-S:

Does having no hosts in the tank and a UV sterilizer count?

Old 07-16-2003, 06:12 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Reefrunner, what's the going price on one of those things? A quarantine tank sounds like the way to go for me. That way I can be impatient, get the fish I want, and keep them in the quarantine tank until this problem blows over.

Also, I don't have a sump, I just have a CPR Backpack filter. Would it suffice to put the sponge in that for a week? Or does it have to be a wet-dry?

Old 07-16-2003, 06:18 PM   #27
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauge
Steve-S:

Does having no hosts in the tank and a UV sterilizer count?
I'm not sure what you mean by that? Please expand....

Cheers
Steve

Old 07-16-2003, 06:21 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You said that keeping the tank warmer would only make ich go away faster if the conditions were right, and the root of the ich problem was being solved. Does having no hosts (i.e. no fish, or no infected fish at least) and a UV sterilizer running qualify as stemming the problem?

Old 07-16-2003, 06:27 PM   #29
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Also, I don't have a sump, I just have a CPR Backpack filter. Would it suffice to put the sponge in that for a week? Or does it have to be a wet-dry?
If you don't have a sump, you may want to consider keeping the tank running all the time. A sponge filter won't fit in your cpr bakpak, and I wouldn't recommend it if it did

If there is a fish in the tank, infected or not, there is a host for the parasite.

Old 07-16-2003, 06:28 PM   #30
AA Team Emeritus

Oh yeah, you should be able to pick one up at the LFS for around 5-10 dollars depending on what prices are like where your at.

Closed Thread

Tags
ick, sick, sick fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com