Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-17-2003, 11:13 AM   #41
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
I've made up my mind. I'm going to do things the right way and get all the fish out of my tank for six weeks. I may also do what I was saying before about lowering the water level in the tank and slowing down the flow through the UV sterilizer. Anything to help eliminate whatever is causing my problems. Then, I can also make a huge water change right before I add all the fish back into the tank. I started mixing water in my 10 gallon tank last night. I didn't know if it would be for a water change or for filling the QT tank, but it's going to be the latter. Tonight I'm going to toss the invincible chromis in there to start cycling it.

What do you guys think I should do with the bi-color blenny, though? I seriously doubt he's going to like life in a 10-gallon tank with a chromis and no substrate. He might die and save me the trouble worrying about it (everyone else did), but if he doesn't...

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Old 07-17-2003, 11:19 AM   #42
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, Steve-S, I have decided to go with your idea. I agree that I should do the right thing for the right reasons. I'm just going to have to learn the patience that I haven't shown thusfar.

However, short layover or not, after six weeks in a 10-gallon tank that is not cycled, don't you think the nitrites and ammonia levels will get lethal real quick? Also, see above about the question of the blenny being in the tank.

I am not going to use water from the main tank since it is already infected. I should use a fresh batch of water for the QT tank in that case, shouldn't I?

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Old 07-17-2003, 11:21 AM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
A QT does not really need to cycle. It just needs some of the filter media from the main tank to kick start the bio filtration. A simple corner filter, heater and a power head. Plus possibley water from the main tank to match PH and salinity. You are overthinking the situation. This is not a new ecosystem you are setting up but simply a short layover for the fish.
I'm afraid that i have to disagree with this. I did not have a QT set up and my fish developed ich. In hurry, i set up a 10gal QT tank with and did not wait for it to cycle. I tried using the water from my main tank to establish a bioload, and was using it to do water changes in the QT. Even with water cahnges every other day I could not stay on top of the amonia and nitrite spikes and almost lost my Purlpe Tang and Harlequin Tuskfish this way. When they were near death, i placed them both back into the main tank and dosed te the tank wiht No-Ich. I also dosed the tank with garlicguard and soaked their food in it. I am happy to say that both fish have pulled through and do not see any re-infestation of ich (yet. You never know). I now have a fully cycled QT set up and ready.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:27 AM   #44
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I may also do what I was saying before about lowering the water level in the tank and slowing down the flow through the UV sterilizer. Anything to help eliminate whatever is causing my problems.
I would not do this, keeping the tank fishless for 6 weeks will erradicate the parasite. I think if you do what you propose, you will find it difficult to maintain a biological filter in your main tank. If you simply remove the fish...you can add a source of ammonia to the tank and keep the bacterias responsible for nitrification and denitrificaion from starving.

Quote:
Tonight I'm going to toss the invincible chromis in there to start cycling it.
Damsels are not as invincible as you think Make sure to do a slow acclimation for this fish, or better yet, take the 10g from qt and put it in a rubbermaid trash can (new, bought for fish tank use) or a couple 5g buckets and fill the qt with water from the main tank.

Quote:
What do you guys think I should do with the bi-color blenny, though? I seriously doubt he's going to like life in a 10-gallon tank with a chromis and no substrate.
I would put him in the QT, make sure you provide plenty of hiding spaces for all the fish, I use PVC elbows, Tees, etc...for this.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
Old 07-17-2003, 11:32 AM   #45
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Reefrunner, I know I've asked you this before, but what do you recommend as the source of ammonia?

Also, my UV sterilizer recommends 100-200 gph pump, and I'm using a 100gph. Should I slow it down to 50 gph for extra exposure time? Or do you trust the manufacturer's recommendation?

Old 07-17-2003, 11:34 AM   #46
steve-s

Thanks Guage, I applaud the possitive attitude and your descision.

Quote:
I am not going to use water from the main tank since it is already infected. I should use a fresh batch of water for the QT tank in that case, shouldn't I?
No. Using the tank water is still the best method of starting a QT tank especially when fish are in need of treatment right away. Any parasite that comes with it will not last long. The free swimming theront is the weekest stage in the life cycle and the easiest to eliminate. Once the water is transfered you just need to make sure the temperature is stable prior to transfering the fish.

Quote:
Tonight I'm going to toss the invincible chromis in there to start cycling it.
Not neccessary. Just take some bio media from the filtration system in the main tank and place that is the filter to be used in the QT. Do not use the same filter set up that is being used on the main tank unless treating via hyposalinity.

Quote:
What do you guys think I should do with the bi-color blenny, though? I seriously doubt he's going to like life in a 10-gallon tank with a chromis and no substrate
Go to your local hardware store and pick up some short pieces of PVC piping. It's great for making hiding spaces and easily cleaned. Some laying on the side, some straight up.

Quote:
don't you think the nitrites and ammonia levels will get lethal real quick?
Small water changes will take care of anything that arises, plus a good ammonia binder like Prime or similar. Just remember to be mindful of the salinity and PH of the new water being added to the QT.

Quote:
I may also do what I was saying before about lowering the water level in the tank and slowing down the flow through the UV sterilizer
Leaving the tank fallow for 6 weeks will take care of the problem. I would really just maintain the tank as is and use the time to get things on the straight and narrow. 8)

Did I miss anything

Cheers
Steve

Old 07-17-2003, 11:42 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What should I medicate the QT tank with, and what should I expect it to cost? I assume I can go with a copper-based med?

Also, a completely unrelated questions, but one that is necessary... is there anything wrong with mixing some water up, putting it in air-tight jugs and hanging onto it for a few weeks for small water changes and such?

Old 07-17-2003, 11:56 AM   #48
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauge
What should I medicate the QT tank with, and what should I expect it to cost? I assume I can go with a copper-based med?
If treating with copper, Cupramine will be the best and least stressful to the fish. You will just need a proper copper test kit to monitor the copper levels.

If using Hyposalinity, you just need monitor the salinity and PH/alk.

Quote:
Also, a completely unrelated questions, but one that is necessary... is there anything wrong with mixing some water up, putting it in air-tight jugs and hanging onto it for a few weeks for small water changes and such?
You can keep water already mixed but do not seal it tight. That will drastically lower the PH. After it is prepared, use a heater and PH to keep in oxygenated.

Cheers
Steve

Old 07-17-2003, 12:20 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, it looks to me like we've got a thoroughly laid-out plan for getting rid of any parasites I have. Can you guys think of *anything* else I should change or do that might help my tank situation? I will be **SO** upset if fish are still dying after this. I want to do everything I can to make it perfect in my tank. I've been killing fish for 3-4 months. Another month and a half of having no fish followed by realizing the problem isn't solved will be just too much. That's a half a year of fish masacre.

Things I've noted so far:

1) change feeding habbits
2) QT tank for new arrivals and sick fish
3) change acclimation process

Anything else that you guys heard me say that I should change? Everyone in agreement that my oxygenation and PH are okay? Anyone have any questions about how I do things so they can make suggestions?

Also, I was thinking about cleaning out my backpack filter. It's got a lot of... well, junk I would call it, in it. I can't get my hands in that small thing to scrub. I thought maybe I should soak it in something to get rid of all the crud. Perhaps it's rotting stuff that I should be trying to eliminate. The guy at the LFS sited it as a possible cause of my 2-month cycle.

Old 07-17-2003, 12:25 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh, one other thing...

Steve-S: You said that I should use some biomedia from the main tank's filter to jumpstart the filter in the QT tank, but then said not to use the same type of filter on the QT tank if treating with hyposalinity. First of all, why? Secondly, I have a Penguin 125 (biowheel setup) on the QT tank. I assume that's okay, and I should take a couple of the bioballs out of the backpack filter on the main tank and put them in the penguin to get it going?

Closed Thread

Tags
ick, sick, sick fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com