Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-17-2003, 12:37 PM   #51
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauge
Steve-S: You said that I should use some biomedia from the main tank's filter to jumpstart the filter in the QT tank, but then said not to use the same type of filter on the QT tank if treating with hyposalinity.
Actually, I said do not use the same filter currently being used on the main tank if using copper. Copper will most likley be transfered back to the main tank later which would cause you more headaches.

If using hyposalinity, that would be fine. Hyposalinity will not kill benificial bacteria and will not cause any issues if switched back to the main tank.

Quote:
Secondly, I have a Penguin 125 (biowheel setup) on the QT tank. I assume that's okay, and I should take a couple of the bioballs out of the backpack filter on the main tank and put them in the penguin to get it going?
That is a perfect solution and quite honestly all the filtration you need, The bio ball will transfer the needed bacteria. You can actually ignore the above info if that's what you have planned.

Cheers
Steve

Old 07-17-2003, 12:42 PM   #52
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauge
Anything else that you guys heard me say that I should change? Everyone in agreement that my oxygenation and PH are okay? Anyone have any questions about how I do things so they can make suggestions?
If the only water movement is the UV and skimmer, I would still suggest at least one additional power head inside the tank at the surface. I still don't think you've mentioned whether the tank is covered or not?

Quote:
Also, I was thinking about cleaning out my backpack filter. It's got a lot of... well, junk I would call it, in it. I can't get my hands in that small thing to scrub. I thought maybe I should soak it in something to get rid of all the crud. Perhaps it's rotting stuff that I should be trying to eliminate. The guy at the LFS sited it as a possible cause of my 2-month cycle.
Always a good idea to keep equipment from becoming a nuisance but I would suggest simply rinsing the bio mater. You really do not need to "scrub" it clean. Syphon some tank water into a small pail and then remove the bio material from the skimmer/filter and briskly swish in the pail. That really should do the trick and in the process will not eliminate any beneficial bacteria.

Cheers
Steve

Old 07-17-2003, 12:57 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
Quote:
I still don't think you've mentioned whether the tank is covered or not?
Yeah, it's got a glass top on it. And, if you've seen a glass top on a hex tank, they seem to leave less of an opening in the back than most tops do.

As far as the powerhead goes, I'm certainly okay with adding one. I have two questions about that, though:

1) Do you think that oxygenation, given my 200 gph filter and 100gph pump on the UV sterilizer could possibly have killed any fish thusfar? I've only seen ich on about 1/3 of them, and one of the clowns had some white film all over it. Other than that, they didn't die from any visible causes.

2) My dream fish is a longhorn cowfish. I know they're not terribly good swimmers. Do you think an additional 100 gph pump is too much for a cowfish? Or do you think I should go higher than that? That's just the only PH I have to spare at the moment. Beyond that I have to go buy one.

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Old 07-17-2003, 01:26 PM   #54
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
1) Do you think that oxygenation, given my 200 gph filter and 100gph pump on the UV sterilizer could possibly have killed any fish thusfar?
I think if O2 levels in the tank dropped at night (which is common) and your fish were infected with Oodinium or Cryptocarryon, then the lowered O2 level could play a part in their death. Both C. irritans and Oodinium attack the gills first, with lowered O2 levels and parasitic infestation of the gills some of your fish could have asphyxiated. The surface area of a Hex tank is very low compared to the volume, which makes it that much more difficult to keep the O2 level at saturation. Your filter could very well be a drain on your oxygenation, the bacteria in the biomedia will have to pull their O2 from the water (assuming the biomaterial is submerged), the oxygenation of your filter will only be if the discharge causes turbulance at the surface. Another thing about your filter...the pump may be rated for 200 gph, but there is head pressure on that pump, it is likely that you are only getting 100-125 gph from it. Same goes for your skimmer.

Quote:
Other than that, they didn't die from any visible causes.
Everyone in this hobby has lost fish "for no apparent reason", some of your fish death may be simply unexplainable, we are working on fixing your problem, but sometimes your gonna lose fish.

Quote:
2) My dream fish is a longhorn cowfish. I know they're not terribly good swimmers. Do you think an additional 100 gph pump is too much for a cowfish? Or do you think I should go higher than that? That's just the only PH I have to spare at the moment. Beyond that I have to go buy one.
I think you may eventually want to go with more than that, but anything is better than nothing right now. What ever you use, point the discharge at the surface (gas exchange takes place at the surface) and diffuse it a bit and you shouldn't have a problem. You may either want to uncover the tank, or have a small fan blowing into the open space in the back, CO2 is heavier than O2 and if there is no air movement under the top....there will be little gas exchange. Just a small amount of movement should suffice.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
Old 07-17-2003, 01:51 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't remember who was saying this earlier... I think it was you, Reefrunner, but I'm now seeing the folly of hex tanks.

The tops on them aren't very friendly. Lights don't fit them well. The sides don't lend themselves to attaching things to them. I'd really like to lift my lights off the top of the tank so I can take the top off, but I can't. There's no way to attach any type of stand to the hex tank. Getting my UV sterilizer on my hex tank was a real chore, for example. You're absolutely right about the survace area vs. the volume.

I don't know if these things would all apply to a corner tank, but I hope not. I'd really like to have one. The longer sides would be a bonus, but the lighting would still be strange, and they are pretty deep in comparison to their surface area and volume.

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Old 07-17-2003, 03:06 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I managed to get the lights on the tank without the top on there. They're a little precarious, but not too bad. I think I might look for some ways to get them a little more securely on there when I stop by Home Depot to get the PVC elbows and such. Does leaving the top off the tank have any detrimental effects on the tank in general? I know most LFS's have them lidless.

Also, I don't have a light set for my QT tank. Do you think it's necessary if it's in a lit room?

Old 07-17-2003, 03:11 PM   #57
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Does leaving the top off the tank have any detrimental effects on the tank in general?
Nope, just be carteful not to drop things in it, You'll also need to be careful with fish selection, don't get fish that are prone to jumping. You might consider getting some eggcrate (flourescent lighting diffuser) from HD and create a frame for your lights to sit on.

Quote:
Also, I don't have a light set for my QT tank. Do you think it's necessary if it's in a lit room?
No, it's not necessary, I do not light my QT tank.

Old 07-17-2003, 07:37 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice FINatic

To my dismay, I've found that my penguin filter is dead. It no longer works. I'm going to have to get a sponge filter, then, because the cost is so low. Anyway, I'm going to be cycling the tank, of course. I had planned on putting the chromis in there to get the cycle going and then adding the blenny after that. However, I just saw the blenny pay a couple visits to the cleaner shrimp, so I think he might need to go first... I have two questions...

1) Are blennies fairly hardy? If not, I may not throw him in there first.
2) Should I move the cleaner shrimp in with them to help out, or will the hyposalinity stuff do the trick itself? Or will it kill the shrimp?

Old 07-17-2003, 08:16 PM   #59
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I've found that my penguin filter is dead. It no longer works.
Call Marineland, penguin and emperors have a sealed motor, since you can't replace it...they are guaranteed for life 8) You should be able to have it replaced free of charge.

Quote:
1) Are blennies fairly hardy? If not, I may not throw him in there first.
You should put all your fish in the QT, the display will not be fishless and the 4-6 week clock won't start until the last fish leaves the display tank.

Quote:
2) Should I move the cleaner shrimp in with them to help out, or will the hyposalinity stuff do the trick itself? Or will it kill the shrimp?
Leave the shrimp where it is.

Old 07-18-2003, 11:22 AM   #60
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I went to the LFS last night and bought a boatload of stuff:

300 watt heater
bigger net :P
sponge filter and air pump (the penguin filter was broken)
copper treatment (they didn't have hyposalinity
copper test
few other unrelated items

I took the sponge from the filter and managed to stuff it in my backpack filter without too much trouble. Tonight when I get off work I'm going to take a couple of the bioballs out of the backpack and let them freefloat in the QT tank for a couple days. I'll move the sponge filter back over, of course. I'm going to put the chromis in there for a day or two to see if the cycle is going to be real bad, and if things stay relatively under control, I'll add the blenny. I know the 6-week period doesn't start until they're both out of the tank, but I'm really scared to throw 3 inches of fish into a 10 gallon that hasn't cycled. I don't know if the blenny will survive the spikes in ammonia and nitrites. The invincible chromis will, I'm sure.

Anyone have any suggestions for me? Specifically in the area of the copper tests and treatment, I'm hoping. No idea if I should just follow the directions, or put more or less than they say... Also, how often should I do the copper tests? I opened the box and it looks like a fairly complicated procedure.

Closed Thread

Tags
ick, sick, sick fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com