Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-05-2004, 09:34 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

does n e one know what the aquaclear powerheads gph are i cant figure it out. heres a site where i found some. i was gonna get two a big one and a small one with am ac 200 i was gonna get the ac ph 201 and the ac ph 402 n e one got advice on these two. http://www.bigalsonline.ca/catalog/c...189;pcid1=2181

edited to correct link

Old 02-05-2004, 09:58 PM   #22
steve-s

If you click the picture of the PH you want it gives the details. The 201 is 126 GPH and the 402 is 270 GPH. I would actually suggest two Maxi Jet 600's instead.

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-05-2004, 10:04 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

heres the thing though my lfs i dont think sells them. i am hopefully going to loon into it tomorrow mayb. i know they have most hagen stuff though. so woould those to b ok with the ac 200
Old 02-05-2004, 10:21 PM   #24
steve-s

Hagen would not be my first choice for PH's but if you feel the HOB ac 200 model keeps up it's flow, then you might get by with just one PH. If that's the case I would opt for the 301 instead just to be safe. Just keep the HOB and PH at opposite end so they create a more caotic flow. You want to avoid circular water motion if possible.

Ideally, I would skip the HOB and just get 2x301's and rely more on LR and sand for natural filtration.

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-05-2004, 10:42 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

k mayb ill just use 2 301's will they be adequate though. ill save the ac 200 for mayb aerationg sw that i am going to add to the tank. also i was just wondering when using dead sand do i mix it with the livesand together, and do i ahve to acclimate the sand and LR to the tank or can i just stick it in. i have alos heard i can have 4 fish. wodnerin if this is alright:

2 false percula clownfish
1 yellow clown goby
1 royal gramma

and does n e one have n e advice on setting up the LR i think its called aquascaping
Old 02-05-2004, 10:59 PM   #26
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson
k mayb ill just use 2 301's will they be adequate though. ill save the ac 200 for mayb aerationg sw that i am going to add to the tank.
The two powerheads would work just fine and the HOB would be good for mixing your new water.

Quote:
also i was just wondering when using dead sand do i mix it with the livesand together, and do i ahve to acclimate the sand and LR to the tank or can i just stick it in.
None need to be acclimated but you may wish to "dip" the LR in some salinated selzer water for a minute or two before placing in the main tank to get rid of unwanted hitchikers. If pre-cured LFS rock, it may not be necessary.

Add the dead sand then the rock and place the LS around the rock and atop the dead sand. FWIW, you don't need the LS unless it's cultivated from an existing tank. Bagged live sand is a gimicky waste of money IMO. Especially if you are using LR.

Quote:
i have alos heard i can have 4 fish. wodnerin if this is alright:

2 false percula clownfish
1 yellow clown goby
1 royal gramma
Actually in a 20 gal, 3 would be a safer number. The two clowns would be fine but only one of the other two.

Quote:
and does n e one have n e advice on setting up the LR i think its called aquascaping
This ones more a personal choice with many but personally I find it much easier to aquacape placing the smaller pieces on the bottom. Push them into the sand so they are stable and then stack the larger pieces on top. Finding crevaces that fit well together will wedge the rock making it more stable.

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-05-2004, 11:40 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

so if i put dead sand in the tank the live rock will make it live
Old 02-06-2004, 01:30 AM   #28
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson
so if i put dead sand in the tank the live rock will make it live

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-06-2004, 01:21 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

wat i meant to say was will live sand make the dead rock live. so if there is a little bit of LS will the dead sand become live after the cycle. also will the dead snad look like the LS
Old 02-06-2004, 02:57 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

will the thermometer i ahve now b fine with a saltwater aquarum. it just floats around.

Tags
fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com