NEWBY Im a little confused and neew help with my fowlr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wilson said:
its alright to add one after fish rihgt.
Not sure I understand you correctly but if you mean can you add fish after the tank is initially set up, no. The tank must properly cycle first. Try reading this arcticle and see if that helps: How to cycle your tank with out the use of fish. Once the tank is properly cycled, you can then add the first fish after they have been properly quarantined.

many ppl have told me it would b alright to have 4 fish but i might just drop the royal gramma or a firefish not sure which one. wat do u suggest. i want two clowns though i heard they are really cool to look at
I never said 4 fish here not possible :wink: I said the 4 fish you have chosen where not advisable given their adult size and feeding behavour. Of the gramma or the firefish, I would opt for the gramma. Much more personable and I think a good addition. Just be sure you have ample amounts of LR or other hiding places for it to adjust and do well.

Cheers
Steve

what i emant was can i add a skimmer after i add fish. i know i ahve to cycle the tank for aobut 6 weeks b4 adding any fish and that ishould amyb add one fihs once a month or so , but i am going to add my two clowns at the same time cuz thats wat i ahve heard. o ok i thought u meant i couldnt have 4 fish at all. i think i am going to get the 2 clowns and and the gramma n e others u suggest or not. i dunno at im gonna do for sure yet tohugh lol

You can add the skimmer at any point but may not be needed until the tank matured a bit. If using precured live rock, it could be several months before it will actually collect anything. If uncured LR, I would add it when the rcok is added.

I agree on adding the clowns at the same time. It will increase the chances of the clowns becoming/staying a mated pair. As far as a 4th fish, I would suggest one of the smaller gobies like a neon or sharknose.

Cheers
Steve

i just found out that i might not be gettin a new tank for my fw from a friend. so once i tlak my mom into it i might end up gettin a new 40-50 gallon. does n e one have ne advice for a new tank. of course my budget is going up too. will i need a fuge or sump with this id rather not have to get one.

i was thinking of a yellow goby

Did you mean a yellow clown goby?

so once i tlak my mom into it i might end up gettin a new 40-50 gallon. does n e one have ne advice for a new tank.

The same advice pretty much holds true as with the 20 ;) My biggest piece of advice is to buy some books and read them, a very good one for the beginning SW hobbyest is The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner.

of course my budget is going up too. will i need a fuge or sump with this id rather not have to get one.

They are not a necessity, but they are usually recommended, especially for a reef set up ;)

o well im not going to have a reef set up and i heard i should amyb get a 30 g that way its cheaper and i can spend the money from the tank on btter things for the 30 instead of puttin a lot of money into just a 50. Wat do u think?

yeah i meant a citron clown gobyif i use my 20 g for my fowlr if i get a 30 for it some of my fish might change.

A citron clown goby is not much different than the original two you suggested. If still speaking about the 20 gal, it will be too much of a bio-load with 4 sml-med fish.

Cheers
Steve

The clown gobies are small fish, six line wrasse, a small flasher wrasse, watchman goby, small hawkfish, scooter blennies, midas blenny. There are lots of them, you really should look through the web for pictures of SW fish that strike your fancy, give us a list of what you like and we can let you know if they will fit in your tank. All the fish metioned before will not all fit in a 20g tank, they were just examples of some of the choices you have.

k heres fish i like( could u amke a few lists for a 20g and a 30 g because im not sure wat size it will b): also i want to false percula clown fish

Pygmy Angel, Lyretail Anthias, Blackcap Basslet, Purple Pseudochromis,
Purpleback Pseudochromis, Royal Gramma, Gold Stripe Maroon Clown(rather have false perculas though), Fridmani , Neon Dottyback, Citron Clown Goby,
Firefish Goby , Purple Firefish Goby , Flame Hawkfish , Yellow Tang - Small , citron goby

also for crabs, snail etc. astrea snails, nassarius snails, cerith snails, margarita snails, small blue leg hermits, skunk cleaner shrimp.

i know ppl may have said i cant have these fish but these r ones i like.

also for crabs, snail etc. astrea snails, nassarius snails, cerith snails, margarita snails, small blue leg hermits, skunk cleaner shrimp.

These do not add to the bioload and should be fine to add.

List 1 20g:
Pygmy Angel (I am assuming coral beauty)
Blackcap Basslet

List 2 20g
Blackcap Basslet
2 false percula clown fish (mated pair)

List 3 20g
Neon Dottyback,
Citron Clown Goby
Flame Hawkfish (may eventually need a larger tank)

List 1 30g
Blackcap Basslet
Citron Clown Goby

List 2 30g
Blackcap Basslet
2 false percula clown fish (mated pair)

List 3 30g
Neon Dottyback,
Citron Clown Goby
Flame Hawkfish (may eventually need a larger tank)

The anthias and the tang are not sutable for either tank. Do not put the basselets and the dottyback s in the same tank, 1 basselet or dottyback per tank.

thnx for all the info but i was jsut wondreing in list 2 20g could i use a neon dottyback. i really want to get the 2 false percs, butim not suire how much i like the basslet compared to other fish lol. same with list 2 30 g, or list 3 could i get rid of Flame Hawkfish adn Neon Dottyback adn have the 2 false percs.

just an idea cuz i really like the clowns but if it wont wrk it wont wrk lol

not trying to sound like im not trying to get ur info just seeing if others can wrk too lol

thnx for all the info but i was jsut wondreing in list 2 20g could i use a neon dottyback. i really want to get the 2 false percs, butim not suire how much i like the basslet compared to other fish lol.
same with list 2 30 g

Yes, you could switch the dottyback for the basselet ;) add the dottyback last, they are agressive and will tear up any fish added after them.

list 3 could i get rid of Flame Hawkfish adn Neon Dottyback adn have the 2 false percs.

Yep, certainly ;)

not trying to sound like im not trying to get ur info just seeing if others can wrk too lol

Not a problem, I just did 3 lists for each, and gave a couple of rules for trying to make your own lists, I'm sure there are several different list that ould be made with the fish you listed.

so if i were to make lists could i give them to u and u tell me wat u think

eg could i have to false percuals and a pygmy angel in a twenty

or i na 30 2 false percuals a pygmy angel and a citorn goby

thnx for all the help its great lol

here is the pygmy angel i was talking abouthttp://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/product_info.php?products_id=196&parent_category=4&category_search=61&root_parent_id=4&PHPSESSID=3477ac64a451e2158c3bb9143d79537e

even though it says 30 g would it b alright inth e 20 with 2 false percuals or no

Back
Top Bottom