Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-06-2004, 11:20 PM   #31
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson
wat i meant to say was will live sand make the dead rock live.
Providing the sand has any viable bacteria in it, it will. FWIW, what you are talking about is basically bacterial colonization in which any decaying matter will accomplish the same thing and cost you zip. Adding bagged wet sand IMO, is a complete waste of money. If you are able to add sand from another established tank or properly seeded sand chalked full of life, that's a different story and usually well worth the money albeit pricey.

Quote:
so if there is a little bit of LS will the dead sand become live after the cycle. also will the dead snad look like the LS
There is no difference in appearance between LS and dead base sand provided they are both the same type... ie oolitic aragonite or the like. The "Life" is a combination of micro/macro fauna and bacteria. Anything added to the tank that either allows creation of or colonization for, will transfer to the lifeless sand or rock.

Quote:
ill the thermometer i ahve now b fine with a saltwater aquarum. it just floats around
Unless it is a proper titanium heater (which I suspect it isn't), I would replace it as soon as possible. It will most likely corrode and cause you problems. If it is titanium, just get a suction bracket from the LFS. Should only cost a few bucks

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-07-2004, 12:09 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

n not the heater the thermometer. and where do i buy the dead sand u were talkin aobut

Old 02-07-2004, 12:49 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

if i get a skimmer i was just wondering if it would be chaeper just to amke a skimmer (if possible) and how or to buy one
Old 02-07-2004, 12:30 PM   #34
steve-s

Quote:
n not the heater the thermometer. and where do i buy the dead sand u were talkin aobut
DOH!! Sorry about that. I have no idea what themometer you have now but if it just floats about you can also get a suction bracket for that as well to keep it in one place. Make sure it is positioned in an area away from PH's and the heater to get an accurate reading tough.

Check HD for South Down, Old Castle or other types of tropical play sand. Just be sure to test a small amount of the sand with a bit of vinegar. If it's aragonite sand it will fizz which is what you want. If it does nothing, it will be silica sand. If that is unavailable, I would get CaribSea Argamax select from the LFS.

Quote:
if i get a skimmer i was just wondering if it would be chaeper just to amke a skimmer (if possible) and how or to buy one
It is possible to make a skimmer but you need to make sure it is constructed properly or it will not work efficiently. I have not seen any DIY plans lately I could recommend but a google search should give you some good results. If after finding some decent plans and it turns out to be a little duaghnting, you might be better off just purchasing one which is what I would recommend in the first place. :P

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-07-2004, 01:06 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

dou think i even need one or if i just keep up on my water changes would thast b fine. also what types do u recommend
Old 02-07-2004, 01:26 PM   #36
steve-s

On a 20 gal tank, weekly water changes should suffice. Just be sure you have good surface water movement and run carbon at least once in awhile to help "polish" the water occassionally. For the amount of waste producing animals that you can put in a 20 gal tank, a skimmer is not a must; it just cuts down on the maintenance a bit.

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-07-2004, 02:18 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak

so could i get away with those 4 fish too without a skimmer. my lfs has some put they arent the best kinds or they are overly expensive like 200 thas way more then i want to spend. hey the CPR and aquac arent sol at my lfs. one has a Lee's another one has a seaclone(its 200 though) and another one has a coralife and a tropic.that is wat my lfs had.
Old 02-07-2004, 02:28 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Freak

k i just called one more lfs and they sell saeclones for 119.99 os i think if iwere to get one id go with that one. those r hang on ones right or does n e one know ?
Old 02-07-2004, 03:31 PM   #39
steve-s

Quote:
so could i get away with those 4 fish too without a skimmer.
If you are refering to the original list of fish, no. With or without a skimmer that many fish given adult max size and eating behavour would not be advisable. I would only get the mated clowns and one other for a 20 gal tank unless you opt for different fish.

Quote:
my lfs has some put they arent the best kinds or they are overly expensive like 200 thas way more then i want to spend. hey the CPR and aquac arent sol at my lfs. one has a Lee's another one has a seaclone(its 200 though) and another one has a coralife and a tropic.that is wat my lfs had.
I would look for an alternate LFS or shop online. I would not recommend either of these skimmer your LFS has. They are very inefficient and not worth the money. If cost is a factor, I would suggest saving up and buy one that will do the job properly. As I said though, even with a skimmer you still need appropriate water changes and must be mindful of the watse producing bio-load. Having a skimmer will not really change that.

Cheers
Steve
Old 02-07-2004, 03:54 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Freak

i might just skip the skimmer for now. ill keep up on water changes and then mayb when the tank is really established i will get one. when i have more money. its alright to add one after fish rihgt. many ppl have told me it would b alright to have 4 fish but i might just drop the royal gramma or a firefish not sure which one. wat do u suggest. i want two clowns though i heard they are really cool to look at

Tags
fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com