Newly purchased Corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would only run carbon to remove medicine if you ever have to treat for anything or if you ever propagate coral inside the tank which is not recommended btw

Well I would not use it... You want your beneficial bacteria to form on the rocks not the filter. Its different than freshwater tanks. I, would buy some polyfloss out something similar to run as a filter and maybe put it in with the carbon for a little while then remove carbon if your worried about it. it may cause a bacterial bloom and your water may be,a tiny bit cloudy but I think you would be ok to remove it

Good to know! Ill look into it

Ok well test your calcium, kh, and phosphates

Phosphates should be 0
And I try to keep my calcium at 420 and kh at 10

I wouldn't dose calcium our anything without having it tested.

Yeah the leds are probably ok. You will get several opinions. I run dual PCs and I get told I can't grow much coral but my tank is deep and I have mushrooms, soft corals,lps and sps and have not ran into any problems yet

Ok so I got my phosphate tested its at 0.25.. My LFS doesn't test calcium so I bought a tester and I must be doing it wrong because if I'm not then its off the charts. I must have put like 30 drops in there to turn it blue and I'm only at a dark purple

You said you doses calcium and toy probably didn't need to. So that may be why its so high. Water changes will help bring it down

Yeah you probably need to do water changes. I have to dose with calcium only because I have 20 corals and over 200 snails. Before I added all that I didn't need to dose. A few corals are not going to use up the calcium you add by doing water changes which replenishes a lot of nutrients you need

What all where you dosing, brand names as, well

Kh issues can keep coral retracted too

I've only ever dosed Carib Seas purple up, it has a calcium and iodine supplement and one I used instant ovens reef accelerator but I didn't take out my phosphate pad before doing it, I think. The pad package says that it neutralizes it

I've only ever dosed Carib Seas purple up, it has a calcium and iodine supplement and one I used instant ovens reef accelerator but I didn't take out my phosphate pad before doing it, I think. The pad package says that it neutralizes it

Omg.. Once* and instant oceans* lol

Back
Top Bottom