Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-12-2005, 12:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

next time you are told to keep your arm inside the bus..

all i can think of as i set up my QT tank to treat for ick is an episode of the simpsons when the guy thats runs the military surplus ( with one arm ) tells bart "next time your teacher tells you to keep your arm inside the bus.....do it!" i should have QT'd my fish like people said. i didnt, and now my little clown goby has ick. so the the goby and clown fish ( who doesnt show any signs ) are off to QT for 6-8 weeks. any last words of wisdom? i have a 10 gallon with heater and small HOB filter and PH. i am going to use cupramine. the 10 gallon has 5 gallons from the main and the rest will be water that has been mixing for a few days now.

any advice would be appreciated

steve r

Old 01-12-2005, 01:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Soak their food in Selcon to help build the immune system. You can also add Kent Garlic Xtreme to get them to eat if they get too finicky. We have all been there. I can understand your pain. Just have some pre-mixed saltwater standing by to do some water changes during the qt treatment. Other than that, you are headed in the right direction. BTW, I love the Simpsons. 8)

Mike

Old 01-12-2005, 01:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

thanks mike. i could have guessed from your picture of the "plow king"

steve r
Old 01-12-2005, 01:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Yup, water changes will be your best friend, especially in the begining days. Test ammonia every day and do small water changes to combat it. Also give them some PVC elbows for them to hide in. Will make them feel more secure.
Other than that, it sound like you have a plan...good luck.
Thanks Mike, now I have this mental picture .....lol. The plow king rocks!!!
Old 01-12-2005, 01:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's funny. I have a routine every night when I get home. I clean the walls of the tank, feed the fish, add top-off water to my sump, play with the kids, tell the wife hello, and sit back and watch 2 episodes of the Simpsons. Life just doesn't get any better than that! LOL

Mike
Old 01-12-2005, 05:43 PM   #6
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salttanker
tell the wife hello,
LOL... might wanna move that to the front of the list. Once MTS sets in you'll need all the help you can get. :P

2 tanks are just the beginning.... 8O

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-12-2005, 06:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know..I have already told her that when we buy a new house this year that I want to tackle the 300G in-wall project. If you could have seen the look she gave me..phew!
I will try to do better with the wife. It is a routine I have become too acustomed to so it will be hard to break.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I just got off the phone with my wife telling her that I have given in to her requests and bought a background for our 29 gal SW.....she hates the sight of wires and tubes both on aquariums, stereos, etc. Anyway, I quickly stuck the phrase "when we get another tank" while discussing the livestock options for our current project (see below signature)....and she got really quiet then yelled my full name into the phone followed by a positive NO....I love this hobby!
Dog Face Puffer
Bamboo Cat Shark
Foxface Lo
Volitan Lion
and the almighty domino Damsel
the21kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 01:47 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

here is a thought. we were thinking of getting a royal gramma before we noticed the ick. since i am going to have the qt setup, would it be okay to get the gramma and traet him and QT him with thother two fish. that way i dont have to do it again.

just a thought.

steve r
Old 01-13-2005, 11:18 AM   #10
steve-s

You could but there is a risk. Something to consider though. If the fish has a seperate issue untreatable by the Cupramine, you'll need to set up something different to treat it. You also need to be sure there is sufficient room for the fish you already have and the new addition without cramping. Aggressive behavior will hamper your success just as much as anything else.

New fish can be hard to acclimate to prepared foods if still "new" so be sure the fish is eating prior to purchase. Copper can be quite the appetite supressant.

Cheers
Steve

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com