next time you are told to keep your arm inside the bus..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steve r

Aquarium Advice FINatic
all i can think of as i set up my QT tank to treat for ick :cry: is an episode of the simpsons when the guy thats runs the military surplus ( with one arm ) tells bart "next time your teacher tells you to keep your arm inside the bus.....do it!" i should have QT'd my fish like people said. i didnt, and now my little clown goby has ick. so the the goby and clown fish ( who doesnt show any signs ) are off to QT for 6-8 weeks. any last words of wisdom? i have a 10 gallon with heater and small HOB filter and PH. i am going to use cupramine. the 10 gallon has 5 gallons from the main and the rest will be water that has been mixing for a few days now.

any advice would be appreciated

steve r

Soak their food in Selcon to help build the immune system. You can also add Kent Garlic Xtreme to get them to eat if they get too finicky. We have all been there. I can understand your pain. Just have some pre-mixed saltwater standing by to do some water changes during the qt treatment. Other than that, you are headed in the right direction. BTW, I love the Simpsons. 8)

Mike

Yup, water changes will be your best friend, especially in the begining days. Test ammonia every day and do small water changes to combat it. Also give them some PVC elbows for them to hide in. Will make them feel more secure.
Other than that, it sound like you have a plan...good luck.
Thanks Mike, now I have this mental picture .....lol. The plow king rocks!!! :lol:

It's funny. I have a routine every night when I get home. I clean the walls of the tank, feed the fish, add top-off water to my sump, play with the kids, tell the wife hello, and sit back and watch 2 episodes of the Simpsons. Life just doesn't get any better than that! LOL

Mike

Salttanker said:
tell the wife hello,
LOL... might wanna move that to the front of the list. Once MTS sets in you'll need all the help you can get. :p

2 tanks are just the beginning.... 8O

Cheers
Steve

I know..I have already told her that when we buy a new house this year that I want to tackle the 300G in-wall project. If you could have seen the look she gave me..phew! :evil:
I will try to do better with the wife. It is a routine I have become too acustomed to so it will be hard to break.

I just got off the phone with my wife telling her that I have given in to her requests and bought a background for our 29 gal SW.....she hates the sight of wires and tubes both on aquariums, stereos, etc. Anyway, I quickly stuck the phrase "when we get another tank" while discussing the livestock options for our current project (see below signature)....and she got really quiet then yelled my full name into the phone followed by a positive NO....I love this hobby!

here is a thought. we were thinking of getting a royal gramma before we noticed the ick. since i am going to have the qt setup, would it be okay to get the gramma and traet him and QT him with thother two fish. that way i dont have to do it again.

just a thought.

steve r

You could but there is a risk. Something to consider though. If the fish has a seperate issue untreatable by the Cupramine, you'll need to set up something different to treat it. You also need to be sure there is sufficient room for the fish you already have and the new addition without cramping. Aggressive behavior will hamper your success just as much as anything else.

New fish can be hard to acclimate to prepared foods if still "new" so be sure the fish is eating prior to purchase. Copper can be quite the appetite supressant.

Cheers
Steve

Also remember to follow the directions to a T.....

You will need to keep the proper level of copper in the tank for a sustained amount of timed, meaning, when you do a water change, you will need to treat the new water accordingly to mke up for the copper you will be taking out with the old water.

Also you will need the proper copper test kit to make sure the levels are right on.

Hmm try saying proper copper 10 times real fast! :lol:

Can't remember the test kit, ill get back with ya in a min.

That would be a Seachem Copper Test. There are other copper test kits, but you will need the seachem to get the proper reading. :wink:

thanks for the info. i think i will pass on the royal gramma addition and get the seachem test kit. i can always get a new fish later and set up the QT again. besides, this is an excuse to get more coral in the meantime 8)

thanks as always
steve r

Back
Top Bottom