niger trigger bit the eye out of yellow tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WWodyz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
:lol: heres another newbie on board, great site... Anyways i have a 40 gal
no skimmer yet, live roks and live sand, 2 fake clowns, 2 spotted cardinal, 1 yellowtang, 2 dominoes...etc...anyways i bought a new fish (niger trigger) cut the story short the trigger bit the tang on the eye and the poor guys eye is out, is the tang on his way to the toilet? how long is he going to live with his eye out??

ouch that must have hurt that poor fish.. Triggers should only be housed in a species only tank..

Triggers are some of the most aggressive fish... Alot of times they will even attack their own species.. I believe it i am correct the niger trigger is supposed to be the Most aggressive of all triggers..

Best suggestion Take the trigger back or place him in a tank to himself.... it is way too big for that 40 gal tank anyways.. I believe a trigger shouldn't be house in anything less than a 100gal if I am correct.. I honestly dont this the yellow tang has much of a chance... but i have seen 1 eyed fish hang around for quite some time.. All you other fish will not survive a week if you leave that Trigger in there.. Thats an almost for sure thing... To the best of my knowledge all the info I gave you is true and correct.. If not someone please correct me as there is many disagreements in this hobby and never just 1 right way to do something..

HTH,
James

Hmmm, sounds like you had too many fish in that tank before you added the trigger, and from what i have read, i think that trigger will get way to big for that tank. As far as your tang, im not sure how long it will last but either way it should be taken out of that tank. Tangs need alot of room to swim around and a 40 just isn't big enough.

the niger is not one of the most aggressive trigger you can get.their two triggres that tie in the most agressive and they are a queen and a titian trigger. it also has to do with each ones personality.they say niger are suppose to be more laid back then some other triggers but i know ours is not but we asked for the meanest one because of our tank inhabbitants.the minimum size for a niger is a 75 gal. some fish can live along time with only one eye or being blind . i've seen blind ones in the fish store because they spent to much time in the bags do to shipping.HTH

ive been watching the nigertrigger and the other fish in the tank and the only casualty was a 3 stripe damsel (eaten), the 2 clowns has no bite marks and the yellow tail looks good, just his eye popping out. i see no other bites on the other fish.

he has already ate one fish and tool out the eye of your tang .he is probably going to eat or attack the rest of your fish . by leaving him in there you just creating unnessicary stress. you need to figure out if you want an aggressive tank or a docile tank.

my cousin has a niger trigger about 3 inches he is as aweet as can be he is in the tank with a smaller yellow tang 2 clowns and some damsels but it is a 120g tank so they are not all mean it is my understanding that niger are the least agressive of the triggers but i think the main problem is to small of a tank but then again i dont know crap im just getting started but i have been reading alot good luck and get that guy out of there

Niger Trigger

My sources (a personal friend who is a importer/distributer to a very large So. Cal aquarium Retailer) assured me that the Niger Trigger I just purchased from him last week (a week out of the ocean) was the least aggressive of all Triggers. In fact he said it would do well in my 60 gal and in fact is doing greatly with the other fish in my tank.
I also have a yellow tang (King of the tank) and there are no issues between the Trigger and any of the tangs in the tank or fish in general in the entire tank.
Sounds like you have a "trouble maker" in your tank !
If the eyeless Tang gets weak he may not make it......quaranteen him.

how old is your tank? how much LR and LS? the stock you listed would be more suited to a 75g or larger. 40g is not big enough for a yellow tang or the trigger. even seperatly. you also may eventually have some aggresion issues with so many fish in the damsel family ( the clowns are included in this ). keep close watch on the tang and keep your water quality very high. feed him food soaked in selcon and garlic. this will help the fish heal and fight infections. the trigger should be returned. if he take s turn for the worse QT him to better treat. ask all the questions you need to. no one here will steer you wrong. you will get sound, truthful advice that everyone has gathered over the years.

steve r

thats more fish than I have in my 120 gal fish tank.

It sounds like the answer is right in front of you.

Keeping that trigger in there is borderlining on cruel and unusual punishment for the other inhabitants.

Wow diane I did not notice the date on the original post. :x I read some of his other post. 8O Looks like he is just posting stuff to get a rise out of people. Ever post he has a different size tank and a crazy problem.

Back
Top Bottom