no-ich in sps tank is it really safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slush

Aquarium Advice Activist
so my fish have some ick im thinking of buying no-ick marine but is it truly safe with sps corals please help thanks

Any and all medication should be in the form of a bath/bucket or separate quarantine. On top of this, if they give no definite msds or at least a basic information sheet regarding the actual medications used, I would not use the product. I am; however, familiar with the product. I wrote them an email and we shall see if they can provide an MSDS...I have my doubts or it would have been posted on their site.

it didnt harm my lps and softies two years ago but im not sure what the sps will do
Any and all medication should be in the form of a bath/bucket or separate quarantine. On top of this, if they give no definite msds or at least a basic information sheet regarding the actual medications used, I would not use the product. I am; however, familiar with the product. I wrote them an email and we shall see if they can provide an MSDS...I have my doubts or it would have been posted on their site.

Then by all means go for it, but the rule still applies that "If you do not know what's in the product then it has no business being in your tank."

lol i like that line you gave me, im mustly likly going out to but a qt grr this is a pita lol

Ok, received an email reply from FishVet and although they would not supply the formulation, they did state the base chemical is 5-nitroimidazoles (Also in Kick-Ich). If you are not familiar with this group, it is comprised of antibiotics that are prescription drugs to treat intestinal infections such as bacterial and flagellates in humans, animals, and livestock along with other pathogens. I can only assume that some of the other meds used in conjunction are to rectify the rapid degredation in water-borne administering. Here's some background information: DNA-Synthesis-Affecting Drugs I: Alkylation Reactions -- Encylopedic Reference of Parasitology

Exerpt from Reefkeeping:
"Treatment Option 8: 5-Nitroimidazoles
There is another class of products on the market that are alleged to be a reef-safe, alternative, anti-parasitic medication for Cryptocaryon irritans. The active ingredient of this category of treatments is 5-Nitroimidazoles. I have only used this type of product a few times, but never in a reef tank, so I cannot speak to those claims. I found these to be moderately successful against Cryptocaryon, although it required twice as many applications as the manufacturer stated on the instructions to affect a complete cure. My biggest complaint is how expensive it was, in particular accounting for the amount and time needed to affect a full cure. Anyone who wishes to try one of these products should perform a search on several of the online message boards to get additional feedback prior to purchasing. Based on my own experience alone, I cannot recommend them."

If I get more info I will update this post and as I stand, still, I would not ever use a medication of sorts in a main display unless dire needs.

Marine Aquaria NO-ICH

I have used Marine Aquaria NO-ICH in my 90 gal reef tank and works great. It took about 3 to 4 weeks and 48 oz $40.00. I have SPS corals & LPS corals and all kinds of other stuff in the tank and did not affect anything in my tank. Its been 5 mounths and everything looks PERFECT....This is a great product....

QT FISH? Fook That. I would of needed a 55gal tank to do that....

No-ICH Marine, Medications | Pet Solutions

Back
Top Bottom