Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-10-2004, 01:11 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ok all...Advice has been wonderful. Bought about 20 pounds of LR and 4 different types of damsels (sp) Tank looks great Salt is in line. Im a happy guy.

The guy at the LFS told be when the tank starts turning brown that its almost done cycling..is that true?

2nd..He told me NOT to put any type of shrimp or crab in it...is that ok?

3rd and last before I fall asleep at keys...If it should start turning does the crabs or shrimp kill/eat this or does it go on its own?

FYI 30 gl cube, Penguin 330 dual Bio Wheels, CC

Thanks again your all great....ANYONE in the SOUTH JERSEY area?

Old 08-10-2004, 01:12 AM   #12

BTW the reading is like .25 on the salinity

EDIT**
What happens with someone like me with a 30 gl cube? no more real room in back for a skimmer (have a penguin 330 dual bio wheel) Current is awsome..powerhead means undergraound system...ideas?

Old 08-10-2004, 11:51 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
I have had the CC for about a year and as long as you do reg water changes and do not overfeed, the CC is great.
And yes do not do like I did and try and skip the QT. I was told by a very large SW store that I bought a regal tang from....."the regal is disease free"...dont worry about QT him...well I went against their recommendation and 2 weeks into QT the fish showed up with ick!! SO please QT..
Old 08-12-2004, 07:48 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to roadshow
The brown stuff is called diatom, and is a algae that often shows up when you are mostly through the initial cycle. So the answer is yes, it does help indicate you are ready to go to the next step. However, since you added 4 fish, you will have to endure another spike, as the bacteria that process the ammonia and nitrite are not sufficient to take that bioload as well. Nothing can be done about that now, so you will just have to do lots of water changes until your bacteria load increases enough to support what you have in the tank.

There is a pretty prolific debate on the need for skimmers. Most say yes, some say no. Basically, they help a lot in maintaining water quality. If you can squeeze 6 or 8 inches between the tank and wall, you can get a decent HOB fixture, or plumb in a sump with a weir/overflow system. Here is a site that has some great info on how a sump system works. http://www.melevsreef.com/ That might solve your space issue!

Sounds like you are well on your way! Hope things continue to go well for you.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:56 AM   #15

Uggggggh Should I remove the fish?? Everyone has told me to add the fish.....

How often should water changes occur? and How many gallons?

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com