Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

NOT good news for my CLOWNS

so im pretty sure that my two clown have ich lol it is my first fish in my first SW tank ever lol.....there not eating,they sometimes look dead just flowing with the current,they look to be breathing really hard,just look lathargic.....so what to do now?? ive read a little on this subject and dont have the money for a qt tank and such right now so i think my only option is to give them back to the fish store and leave my tank fishless for 8 weeks

now if there any other options i would love to hear please help.......

ohh ya i only have snails and a GSP frag and a ZOA frag in the tank like i said its only about 4 weeks old right now so WHAT DO I DO???

Old 08-26-2011, 07:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You basically answered it yourself. You can't setup a qt so you will have to return them. I doubt that you'll be getting any money since they have ich. Qt tanks are cheap though. I bought a 10g for $14 and I'm not even using a filter. You then get a medicine called quick cure. If you put it in your main tank though, no invert or coral will be able to live in it.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

can i do water changes for my coral if i have to leave it fishless for 8 weeks and why is 8 weeks the majic number???

if i did get a 10 gal how long do you treat them for and how do you kill whatever is in your tank???
Old 08-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

These parasites need to eat something or they'll die. They can live as much as 6 weeks, but 8 weeks is said because it's a just in case.

With quick cure, it'll say the instructions on the bottle. It's like $4.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:42 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
There are reef safe ich treatments out there. Check petsmart, I had the same issue a few years ago and found treatment. Make sure it is organic and reef safe. Like i say they are out there.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

well im thinking of buying formalin and doing dips for two weeks but now my question is do i still have to wait 8 weeks to put them back in my main tank ??
Old 08-27-2011, 11:50 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

if u do not hv invert, live sand/rock then ur mt can be medicated; however, if u do hv such i recommend qt. i jus bought a 1.5g led w/filter at walmart $19.99. walmart also has 10g starter for $24.99 w/hood & filter - great value. quick cure is a good medication but does not guarantee ur fish will survive if disease is brooklynella(aka clownfish disease). i already had 2 nemos go down within 7 days when it seemed it was ich. the second one before it passed infected my other 2 nemo while in mt. that why its best to hv a qt & let the disease die off in ur mt. currently, 3rd nemo improved on day 2 but jus got effected again day 3 during the 3 day treatment & 4th nemo has improved as i started second treatment of another 3 day cycle (25% water change) yesterday. today, 4th nemo is now swimming around on top and labored breathing is nonexistence & white spots are disappearing while other nemo is still laying on the bottom tryin to survive. good luck.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

YA I ORDERED FORMALIN TODAY AND AM GOING TO PETSMART THIS MORN TO GET THE QT TANK ......sorry for the caps......

my main question is how long do i leave my dt for......can i do weekly water changes .....??
Old 08-27-2011, 02:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

continue your scheduled water changes as usual in mt without fish since u hv live coral until parasite dies off
Old 08-28-2011, 10:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

I wish I would've seen this sooner I could've saved you a lot of money. I just cured my tank of ich with a treatment called ich attack by kordon. It's cheap and reef safe. it cured my fish in two treatments and have plenty left over.

Tags
clown, clowns

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com