NOT good news for my CLOWNS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bsdryder7

Aquarium Advice Freak
so im pretty sure that my two clown have ich lol it is my first fish in my first SW tank ever lol.....there not eating,they sometimes look dead just flowing with the current,they look to be breathing really hard,just look lathargic.....so what to do now?? ive read a little on this subject and dont have the money for a qt tank and such right now so i think my only option is to give them back to the fish store and leave my tank fishless for 8 weeks :(

now if there any other options i would love to hear please help.......

ohh ya i only have snails and a GSP frag and a ZOA frag in the tank like i said its only about 4 weeks old right now so WHAT DO I DO???

You basically answered it yourself. You can't setup a qt so you will have to return them. I doubt that you'll be getting any money since they have ich. Qt tanks are cheap though. I bought a 10g for $14 and I'm not even using a filter. You then get a medicine called quick cure. If you put it in your main tank though, no invert or coral will be able to live in it.

can i do water changes for my coral if i have to leave it fishless for 8 weeks and why is 8 weeks the majic number???

if i did get a 10 gal how long do you treat them for and how do you kill whatever is in your tank???

These parasites need to eat something or they'll die. They can live as much as 6 weeks, but 8 weeks is said because it's a just in case.

With quick cure, it'll say the instructions on the bottle. It's like $4.

There are reef safe ich treatments out there. Check petsmart, I had the same issue a few years ago and found treatment. Make sure it is organic and reef safe. Like i say they are out there.

well im thinking of buying formalin and doing dips for two weeks but now my question is do i still have to wait 8 weeks to put them back in my main tank ??

if u do not hv invert, live sand/rock then ur mt can be medicated; however, if u do hv such i recommend qt. i jus bought a 1.5g led w/filter at walmart $19.99. walmart also has 10g starter for $24.99 w/hood & filter - great value. quick cure is a good medication but does not guarantee ur fish will survive if disease is brooklynella(aka clownfish disease). i already had 2 nemos go down within 7 days when it seemed it was ich. the second one before it passed infected my other 2 nemo while in mt. that why its best to hv a qt & let the disease die off in ur mt. currently, 3rd nemo improved on day 2 but jus got effected again day 3 during the 3 day treatment & 4th nemo has improved as i started second treatment of another 3 day cycle (25% water change) yesterday. today, 4th nemo is now swimming around on top and labored breathing is nonexistence & white spots are disappearing while other nemo is still laying on the bottom tryin to survive. good luck.

YA I ORDERED FORMALIN TODAY AND AM GOING TO PETSMART THIS MORN TO GET THE QT TANK ......sorry for the caps......

my main question is how long do i leave my dt for......can i do weekly water changes .....??

continue your scheduled water changes as usual in mt without fish since u hv live coral until parasite dies off

I wish I would've seen this sooner I could've saved you a lot of money. I just cured my tank of ich with a treatment called ich attack by kordon. It's cheap and reef safe. it cured my fish in two treatments and have plenty left over.

ich attack cures simple ich however, does not cure clown disease aka brooklynella; quick cure does.

Well if that's what's going on then ya quick cure. They did say ich was the problem in the beginning it would make more since to recommend a cheap simple fix. I have treated bad cases of ich with ich attack and the more severe cases the bottle says to double your dose. If it wasnt ich I wouldn't recommend you use it since you don't treat vomiting with a cough drops.

reality....disease for nemos are hard to gauge. is it ich; it looks like it cuz of the white dots. does nemo have labored breathing. did nemo stop eating after 1 day. try ich attack....if no changes in health by next day use quick cure immediately or death is certain. remember, best to place nemo in quarantine cuz if it is not ich parasite remains in mt approx over a month and will die; if you have fish most likely it will host/infect your fish bit not inverts. good luck to all of you

well my two clowns didnt make it for the formalin treatment :( so now im going fishless for 8 weeks :( just to assure that nothing happens ......im thinking about after the 8 is up im going to order from liveaquaria ince the ave the thirty day guarentee ??

p.s i ordered some sweet bright green gsp from a fellow member in Florida and it didnt make the trip to cali....it didnt help that it was 105 here when it arrived :(

remember for next time; if you did the dip method and put nemo back in mt then they were infected again. hope you had a quarantine tank to put them in after dip

Sorry the fish died. Many advice (not all) here has been incorrect. There is no way you could cure the fish without quarantine never dose any meds in your tank especially not quick cure. It will kill corals, inverts, and most importantly BACTERIA! For the next time pick up a 10 or 20g to use as QT dose with quick cure 1 drop per gallon every day as well as 20-40% water changes every other day or so. After a week maybe less you can dose 2 drops per gallon. I hope this helped. Also almost every med that says "reef safe" doesn't work. I lost alot of fish trying to use that kind of med when I started SW but since I've quarantined ive lost 0 fish srry for ranting but I just thought it was needed here.

I lost all my fish in my 210 display tank because of ich.
I put in a uv sterilizer and let tank run with just my corals and inverts for 8 weeks. I also cleaned my sand bed with regular water changes. I did not use any chemicals or treatments. No problems since.
I also use a QT now with canister filter. No sand because that is where the ich likes to hide when it is not killing your fish. When I am not using my QT I clean the canister filter with RODI water and let it soak in it for 24hrs. Then I hook it up and let it run off my sump on my display tank building up the bacteria in the bio media until needed again.

remember for next time; if you did the dip method and put nemo back in mt then they were infected again. hope you had a quarantine tank to put them in after dip
yes i went out the very next day i found out and bought a 10 g with hob filter and an airstone/heater .....

I lost all my fish in my 210 display tank because of ich.
I put in a uv sterilizer and let tank run with just my corals and inverts for 8 weeks. I also cleaned my sand bed with regular water changes. I did not use any chemicals or treatments. No problems since.
I also use a QT now with canister filter. No sand because that is where the ich likes to hide when it is not killing your fish. When I am not using my QT I clean the canister filter with RODI water and let it soak in it for 24hrs. Then I hook it up and let it run off my sump on my display tank building up the bacteria in the bio media until needed again.
ya i read no sand so i got a piece of pvc to put in there also .....i was going to dip in a 5g bucket .....

when my 8 weeks is up ......do you guys qt them before putting them in your mt ??? and how long do u qt for ??

Back
Top Bottom