Not happy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishKing87

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I all,

Not sure why he's not happy, suppose to be bright orange but rather sad....

Thanks...

Attachments

• image-1544388110.jpg
    image-1544388110.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 105
  • image-1233668073.jpg
    image-1233668073.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 125
It's a temporary thing if you fix the problem what kind of lighting do you have compared to the Lfs?

Yeah at the least they had t5s which when going to pc the coral isn't getting as much light as its use to just my opinion.

If that is a Carnation coral, they are a notoriously hard coral to keep, so it's possible lighting isn't even the main issue, but I believe they are a low light species, and giving it more light will only make it worse. If your LFS had it under brighter lights, they started the bleaching, even though it still may have looked decent, it could have already been in a state of decline. IMO I would lower it and check all parameters, you'll need great water quality If that is of course a Carnation.

Flreefer said:
If that is a Carnation coral, they are a notoriously hard coral to keep, so it's possible lighting isn't even the main issue, but I believe they are a low light species, and giving it more light will only make it worse. If your LFS had it under brighter lights, they started the bleaching, even though it still may have looked decent, it could have already been in a state of decline. IMO I would lower it and check all parameters, you'll need great water quality If that is of course a Carnation.

In doing research I thought it might have been the Carnation but the lfs was selling it as a Christmas tree?

Carnation corals are a NO light species. They rely solely on what's in the water column. Definitely not for a small tank or a new tank. IMO, not for any tank.
The only way to keep that alive would be to have a phytoplankton drip, and constantly add it to your tank. This would be impossible though, because it would foul your water very quickly.

I once saw a coral called a "blue pineapple soft coral" on a stock list and decided to order it. What came in was a tunicate- Not a coral at all and not easy to keep happy either. If I was a LFS, trying to make my bills, what would I do? Not sell it? Tell folks this thing probably won't make it and you shouldn't buy it?
Most stores will label it as a "pineapple soft coral" and sell it. Maybe even a "christmas tree".

All that said, is that that kenya tree looking thing you asked about in other threads? If so, you have something seriously wrong with your water. Those are not easy to kill and if it's dying, I'd be doing some water changes.
Is there any flow in that tank?

Yea that's true, which would totally suck tho!
I mean I don't think that it was overly expensive, if they were trying to sell it off as another thing would they up the price?

No that's doing awesome, really happy now:

Attachments

• image-2989129118.jpg
    image-2989129118.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 112
Back
Top Bottom