Not sure I would call her a sick fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can you please educate me on "mini-cycle" that you said?

By adding live rock to the tank you started a cycle all over again. What this means is that the die off from the shipping prcocess has started an ammonia cycle, just like when you first started the tank. The fish most likely died from ammonia poisioning. When you want to add any new live rock you have to cure it before you put it in an already exsisting tank. What this means is to let it sit in a container of some sort with a heater and a PWH and let the cycle tank place in the container. Monitor the parameters wait for curing to be done then add to the tank with minimal damage. This is why you add all the liverock you want before you put in the livestock. Hope that helps. :)

thank you so much! learning new thing everyday...

comets55 said:
thank you so much! learning new thing everyday...

Sorry for the loss.

+1 on the lr creating an ammonia spike. There would have been die off for sure.

I already removed all new live rock and left only old live rock that i had been treated for 2 months.

Then, I added 20% of fresh ammonia free salt water. Will wait and see tomorrow if this will help.

Any recommend procedure any one wanna recommend?

comets55 said:
I already removed all new live rock and left only old live rock that i had been treated for 2 months.

Then, I added 20% of fresh ammonia free salt water. Will wait and see tomorrow if this will help.

Any recommend procedure any one wanna recommend?

I didn't see that you posted any perams, do you have a test kit?

Yes, I do. Before I added 3 new uncured live rock. My ammonia is 0. But after I added (with didn't know better and lack of study). My incident timeline and parameter are:

29-JUL-12
Ammonia is 0mg/ litre until I Added 4 giant uncured live rocks.

1-AUG-12
pH: 8.3
Salinity: 34
Ammonia: 1.50mg/Litre
Nitrite: 100mg/ Litre
*Forktail Blenny passed away (all the sudden he just collapsed)

2-AUG-12
At 11pm
New 20% water change and added liquid bacteria (ReefLife)
*Powder blue tang and Clarki's clownfish got white spot and I sent both of them to QT.

3-AUG-12 - measured at 9am
pH: 8.3
Salinity: 34
Ammonia: between 0.25 and 1.5mg/ Litre
Nitrite: 50mg/ Litre

4-AUG-12
Removed uncured live rocks that I had put.
Will check water parameters again tomorrow morning.

My girlfriend is setting up a new 140 gallon tank now and curing new live rock. So, I put those I removed into her brand new tank for curing.

My 32 gallon tank is very empty now, but Ammonia still 0.2g/L. Do you know when it will go down?

Before and after

Attachments

• image-2873148136.jpg
    image-2873148136.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 117
  • image-2826906145.jpg
    image-2826906145.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 115
Do you still have fish in there? I've actually done what you did long ago except it was supposed to be cured live rock (this is before I knew to QT it before putting in my tank regardless of being cured or not) but I guess it wasn't. I took it out, did a 20% water change and left my clowns in there. My water wasn't perfect but the ammonia went down and I did get a small spike in nitrites but did a small water change for that as well
Your ammonia levels should go down fairly soon since the source has been removed. Since you aren't a brand new tank you could do a small water change. Make sure you test nitrites and nitrates as well to know you are finished. After your ammonia is 0 you will see a rise in nitrites. Nitrites can kill your fish just like ammonia can if the fish has been stressed or is weak. If your nitrites are high, I would do a water change and see where you are after that.

If your fish aren't in there you can leave it and let nature take its course.

Do you think what is the time frame am I looking at to bring ammonia down? And how long Nitrite cycle will finish?

In the meantime, should I move all of my livestocks out into my hospital tank (24x15x18")? Is it too much hassle? Because I have only 1 skimmer for my main tank.

Live stock that I got:

1. Percular clown x 2
2. Clark's clown x 1
3. Red crown blenny x 1
4. Lawnmower blenny x 1
5. Sleepy gold face goby x 1
6. Purple firefish x 2
7. Naso tang 3" x 1
8. Powder blue 4" x 1
9. Banggai cardinal x 2

Will they are going to fit in my hospital tank?

How big is this tank that all those fish are in? I think you said 30" earlier on which means its about 20-30 gallons I would guess. In that case your ammonia problem could also be coming from over stocking the tank. I have a 28 gallon and only have 4 fish in it. Might get 1 more if I fall absolutely in love with one but till then no more. To much bioload.

Have you tested your water today? I've never had one last more than a few days but I think some can last a week. Have you changed some of the water? Test your water first. Do a water Change if anything is still off. I tested mine everyday to make sure everything was going down. It did. Mini Cycles can last from a few days and longer....I've just never had it last long.

Have you thought about building a small 10 gallon sump for your tank? I'm researching now how I want to build mine. It may help with providing better water quality ( not that yours is bad) and it will increase water volume.

To Crystal:

My tank is approximately 34 gallons. o you think my tank is overload? I won't be buying any more livestock for a long time. But, since I already bought them, is there any other way to bring down the ammonia?

What is the good number of livestock I should keep in 34 gallons tank?

To Nikki:

No, you are not bothering me...but I should be the one who says thank you!

It is coming down a little bit. The color indicator still show the color between 0.25 and 1.5 mg/ L. It has been like this for the past 3 days.

I start to worry now....I think it is taking too long...I hope all my livestock still survive until the ammonia comes down. I don't know what else to do.

On the sump questions: I was thinking about the get the 15 gallon sump. I for a really good deal at $25....but I decided not to because I stay at the condo on 15th floor, not my permanent home. I don't know when I am going to move and if I have to move, there are going to be very hassle.

Base on my girlfriend's tank, she got a 125 gallon and she use only 20 gallon sump and it is fine. So, I think the only that you are interesting, would fit you well.

comets55 said:
Do you think what is the time frame am I looking at to bring ammonia down? And how long Nitrite cycle will finish?

In the meantime, should I move all of my livestocks out into my hospital tank (24x15x18")? Is it too much hassle? Because I have only 1 skimmer for my main tank.

Live stock that I got:

1. Percular clown x 2
2. Clark's clown x 1
3. Red crown blenny x 1
4. Lawnmower blenny x 1
5. Sleepy gold face goby x 1
6. Purple firefish x 2
7. Naso tang 3" x 1
8. Powder blue 4" x 1
9. Banggai cardinal x 2

Will they are going to fit in my hospital tank?

Serious??? Thats WAYYYYYYY overstocked. 35 gallon?!? Haha you should NOT own any tangs.

Hey Comets,
NuNu is right, your tank is seriously overstocked. The main cause of your on-going ammonia problem is probably because there are too many fish in that tank. Your stock is creating more ammonia than your bacteria colony can handle.
2 pair of clowns, or 3 total clowns, in a tank that size, will only lead to some deaths.
A Naso or a Powder Blue should only ever see a 35 gallon tank, if they are less than an inch and a half, and the upgrade tank is already being planned for. I had a 135g tall with a Naso for about 3 years, and he outgrew the tank. He was fat and healthy, but he was just getting too big.
IMO, if you re-homed the 2 tangs and one of the clowns, you would still have a nicely stocked tank, your ammonia levels wouldn't be a problem, your maintenance would be somewhat easier, and overall the tank would be much healthier.

I would do a small water change. You could add some amquel and the ammonia will come down but it does deplete some of the oxygen. When did you do a water change last?

Back
Top Bottom