Not sure I would call her a sick fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You shouldnt have any tangs in your tank. If you want your tank to survive at all you are going to have to start taking our advice, this thread is just getting hard for me to read now.

I had a blue tang in my 150 gallon tank that died. I'd had him in my tank for over two years. He had wedged himself into some live rock and I think he may of gotten stuck. Here is the problem with Tangs: if they don't have enough space they can get stressed out. They are not all that hardy as they can get ich, lateral line disease, velvet...you name it. They generally like more turbulent water and their diet is crucial to living a long time. If they arent getting the right foods then they will not make it. These are one of my favorite fish. I can tell you that while you could have a juvenile in a 40 gallon tank (they are really small and cute!) for a short time, you would need to prepare to upgrade to a much larger tank as these guys like to swim and they can get rather large. I'm no expert by any means but I've had quite a few tangs (yellow, powder blue, brown, regal) and when it comes down to it, if you have had any sick fish in the tank...prepare for them to get it. That's just my experience though and I know that everyone has different opinions and experiences with fish. It's a hard learning process when you lose fish. Personally, I would not replace him with another tang. In addition, if you have two fish missing and possibly dead, there's something not right.

What all do you have in the tank right now?

So I just saw that your nitrites are up. Nitrites can be just as deadly to fish as ammonia. Do you keep a log of your water readings before each change? I'm just wondering how long they've been up. If your tank is cycled they should read 0. Have you added anything lately?

Nu-nu-the eel:

With all the due respect, you guys are experienced aquarists. I am here to seek advice and I pretty much follow you guys advice here. You guys told me that I can't keep more than a pair, so I bought additional tank for them. However, I already had bought the tang a while back without knowing. Do you expect me to trash this poor little tang into the toilet? Or buy another 300gallon tank on top of my current 30gallon? What will u do?

I would return the fish where you bought it? Seems like an easy fix to me. Stores would love to get a free fish, dont you agree?

To Nikki,

My disappeared naso tang that I have, were very healthy without any white spot....on the day I return from business trip, my girlfriend still see & feed him, however only 6 hours later when I got back, he just disappeared...it was too soon for CUC to digest him.

On Nirite level, actually the Nirite parameter was coming down day on day.

I can't buy any fish from where I live, I import them from oversea. I posted on local site for free pick-up, but no one is interested.

We all have made mistakes along the way. It's a learning process and sometimes a hard one! Did you find your fish yet?

comets55 said:
I can't buy any fish from where I live, I import them from oversea. I posted on local site for free pick-up, but no one is interested.

Perhaps you could re-home the tang into your girlfriends larger tank when it's ready for fish?

I hope you get the water parameters in check. Good luck!

Bearchumjs said:
Perhaps you could re-home the tang into your girlfriends larger tank when it's ready for fish?

I hope you get the water parameters in check. Good luck!

Unless I'm misunderstanding, the Tang is missing.

To OP: you really do need to do a large (like 50%?) water change, those nitrates are too high. Do you have any cats, dogs or other animals that could have carried the fish off if they had jumped out of the tank? Its been known to happen. Just a thought.

To Bearchumjs:

My girlfriend's tank is setting up with even worst Ammo & Nitrite. I am planning once everything in her tank is settle, I will move my last Powder blue tang there. He will be pretty happy by then.

To Beengirl:

I don't have any pet or anything else in my house except and my fishes :p there's no way that my clean up crew will take care my 4" tang & 2" firefish within 6-8 hours.

Never mind...I had a blonde moment! I will say this...I watched a coral banded go to town on a coral beauty that died in my friends tank. Then once it got a nice chunk off, two hermits started in...and so on. There are only a few options. They are either hiding really well or if you looked and can't find them, then they died. If there are no remains to be found then cuc coupled with regular decomposition took care of it.

Back
Top Bottom