Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2010, 11:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Not sure if sick but deff weird fish in question: Blue Tang

I am new here. I just set up my 75 gal tank almost 2 months ago. My levels are good, had a spike of ammonia with the new fish after my initial setup and did a 12% water change. That's just my back story. Well I have a blue tang who appears to be "scratching" itself on the sand at the bottom of the tank. My other fish are fine and he looks fine as well. If you have any idea on why it is acting like this, the help would be appreciated. Thanks and I'll put more information on my tank up in the noon area soon.

Andrew

Old 07-13-2010, 11:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What are your levels and how are you measuring them (Liquid or strips)? What else is in the tank? (You can post this information in your User CP under my tanks). On another note a hippo tang needs a larger tank than 75 gallons.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:53 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to catmel
Hippos are notorious for Ich. If its just starting out, it may be on the gills and you may not be able to see it yet.. scratching is usually a sign of ich. My best bet is if able to catch it and put it in a hospital tank, watch it, and if white or black spots show up, treat for ich.

Just your average LVT (licenced vet tech) trying to help the world's animals!!
- Melinda
catmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:13 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

yep its the beggining of ich. Like catmel said they are notorius for it. Every time I get a hippo I treat it before It goes in the tank and when I have to take it back to the lfs. I grow out tiny hippos for a local lfs for about two to three months, and they allways come in with ich.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:44 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ok... Is there a link fr a quick diy quarnteen tank? I use powder chemicals to check the levels. The only high, Whig I took care of, was the ammonia. Another spike because of the bew tank and 4 more fish. It's at around .25 was at .7. I am gonna do another smaller water change tomorrow as well. How bad does ick spread if I don't get him out soon enough, I'll have to get him out tomorrow. No time tonight to rip apart a tank to catch a fish... And is there a way to treat it while it is still in the 75 gal? Thanks. I need sleep now.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:47 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to catmel
The easiest way is to get some sort of container ( large tub, 20 gallon tank etc) usually one of those are cheap. There are fish traps you can buy, I know personally how hard it is to catch a fish (I had to take down my 55 gallon after first starting up to catch a clownfish) but its worth it. All you need then is a heater, a cheap filter and thats about it ( take filter out if usung meds). I know 10-20 gal tank kits are 20-$40 roughly. I used a 10 gallon for mine.

Ich is nasty. It will probably kill your fish if you cant get it out to treat it, if it gets bad enough. If you have inverts or if you are going to keep inverts in your tank I wouldnt suggest treating the main tank. You're going to have to have the fish in QT for about 7-8 weeks and leave your main tank without fish for that long. Its much easier to treat a QT than the main tank anyhow.

You can do hypo salinity or copper for ich treatment. Theres articles on both.

Just your average LVT (licenced vet tech) trying to help the world's animals!!
- Melinda
catmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:51 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Treat ALL fish with hyposalinity in isloation. Yes it's a pain, but it's the only way to insure an Ich free tank. Next, make sure you QT everything before it goes in the tank.

ICH articles
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...2003/mini1.htm
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...2003/mini2.htm
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...2004/mini3.htm
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...2004/mini4.htm
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...2004/mini5.htm

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue tang, ick, sick, tan, tang, weir

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com