Not sure what is up with my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BelleMorte

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay I have done 50% water changes and have cut back to once a week feedings and still fighting some cyno but that isn't my main problem...my mushrooms and zoa's have decided to close up and start looking rough as hades.. Before you ask I have checked everything in my tank all the tests have come back within normal ranges. Ca is a little on the high side but it always is after a water change. I haven't got the tests for Magnisum. My snails are doing great just not the corals. This is the first major problem since I started my tank 8 years ago. Any advice would be great as I am at wits end and actually started crying over it today as I was so upset. Feel free to inbox me as well with advice

Have you checked for stray voltage? I have some experience in reefs, and when I had me reef tank, I lost allot of coral due to stray voltage.

Checked that first thing as I had read that on here and there isn't a stray volt. I moved the corals from the Dt to the secondary Dt till I figure out what is going on in the main tank. Cyno is leaving but not quick enough for my liking. I feed once a week. And I am doing 5 gal water changes every other day or was thinking it might be old tank syndrome

That is a very big possibility, it could be that after 8 years of running the same system, the system is getting old, it is usually the buildup of chemicals you add to the tank after a while. I had a friend with the same problem once, and he had to start his whole tank over, if you continue to have problems, you may have to do the same.:(

I'm running over 20 years so far, without a tear down. It can be done. Remove what detritus you can and watch for low alkalinity because old tanks can go acidic. Try running some Purigen as old tanks can also concentrate silicates, which promote cyano growth.

Detritus buildup is your worst enemy here. Water changes should keep anything from getting concentrated in the water. Your tank just needs some cleaning. I wouldn't start over.

Last edited:
Since I have moved the corals to the secondary tank I might just go though and pull the live rock out and scrub off them off and rinse in some tank water and do 50% water change...Might have some build up in places I can't get to where the rock is sitting in the back of the tank...Thanks every one will keep ya posted on the outcome of this

Did a huge water change now just waiting to see what happens. Keep your fingers crossed

System crashed. So having to start over. Not happy at all. Am at the point I am just tired of it

Back
Top Bottom