not thriving in qt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fourmyclowns

Aquarium Advice Activist
5 year old tang is not doing well in qt. for Ich. Recently stressed it out when adding new angel fish to the main tank and repairing the wave box. THis fish liked to hide behind the wave box but when we took it out for repairs it went nuts from fear and ran into the side and top of tank. Stress (or the new fish) brought on the Ich so they are in QT.

QT water parameters test good
heat 78 degrees (too warm?)
Fluval bio filter running.
Plenty of plastic fittings to hide in
wrapped the tank sides to darken it.
Medicating with low dose of copper.

FIsh seemed okay until today (2 weeks in qt.). Yesterday was swimming in the bubbles - today acting limp. I'm wondering if the Fluval is not putting enough oxygen in the tank. Or maybe enough copper - could the Ich be affecting its breathing? Been trying to get copper test strips before additional dosing, but LFS only open weekends.

I welcome any suggestions to keep her alive. SHe actually looks much, much better than 2 weeks ago - good color and very few white spots.

Without parameters there isn't much to say really. This could be ammonia or even copper poisoning if one isn't keeping up with water changes.
How big is the qt...and how big is the display?

All parameters are within acceptable levels. QT is 18 gal. Display is 75 and I've been doing frequent water changes there. ph 8.2-8.4, Nitrate 20ppm, Nitrite 0-.25 (looks clear against white paper, slightly purple against the color card-I think a reflection) Ammonia 0.

Is the carbon in the Fluval absorbing the copper? I wonder if I should take the carbon pouch out? I can finally get some copper test strips after work tonight, but not sure if my tang will make it.

The copper will easily leach into things like the carbon. A QT shouldn't have anything in it besides water and some PVC to hide in with daily water changes to address parameters because of copper based medications and beneficial bacteria not being able to survive through hyposalinity.
That said, I'd want to point my finger towards the lack of space in a 75 gallon for a tang and an angel. Adding another large fish to a medium sized tank can easily lead to aggression issues. Tie that in to the tang loosing it's hiding spot like you stated...set up for disaster. This could have been even more spread thin if the tang was one of the larger ones that needs the space of a 6ft tank to be able to thrive...though if you kept it for so long I'd want to be inclinded to believe it was a tomini, bristletooth, or kole tang.
So, if the tang was using this box as a hiding spot...how much live rock is in the system? If the lbs per gallon rule wasn't being applied here that is stressing and limiting the amount of beneficial bacteria in the system and limiting the amount of hiding places for fish to live in.

90#live rock. I am more concerned with the qt right now. It has only pvc and Fluval biofilter. Should I remove the carbon packet? Test oxygen? Or is her breathing more likely due to parasite? She looks good but is weak.my trigger is doing ok in qt but hiding and not eating well. I will be running to the fish store after work to pick up copper test strips and anything else that might help.

No, this wouldn't be copper issue. This sounds more like stressed out fish in a QT. I'd keep up with water changes. There being nitrates means that there were levels of ammonia and nitrite in there and is not helping matters.

I did a 50% water change just now. I think maybe my qt is too small. I thought it was 18 gallons, but just measured it and it is only 13. I'm thinking I should go get a bigger one. There's a sale this weekend at Petsmart and the tanks aren't that much. That would mean moving them again though....

Tested the copper and it was so faint that it was nearly zero or <0.25. I will work on more frequent water changes and balancing out the copper.

Should I take all the filter materials out - the sponge and white rock/cubes?

Well, any sponge and rock you won't be able to use in any tank you keep inverts in as it will leach out of those. In terms of copper treatment, someone that has done it would need to chime in.

Good news!

That's okay about the sponge, etc. The QT is strictly that - nothing passing back to the main tank.

Good news! one hour after the water change and my tang is back to swimming! I had no idea the QT needed such frequent water changes. I will continue with testing and water changes. Thanks for the help. And any more suggestions/answers are still welcome. I know sw fish are tricky and things can change quickly.

Saltwater isn't that tricky, it is about proper management and patience. Just keep up with those daily water changes, your fish will enjoy the poison free living space.

Back
Top Bottom