Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-23-2015, 11:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

not thriving in qt

5 year old tang is not doing well in qt. for Ich. Recently stressed it out when adding new angel fish to the main tank and repairing the wave box. THis fish liked to hide behind the wave box but when we took it out for repairs it went nuts from fear and ran into the side and top of tank. Stress (or the new fish) brought on the Ich so they are in QT.

QT water parameters test good
heat 78 degrees (too warm?)
Fluval bio filter running.
Plenty of plastic fittings to hide in
wrapped the tank sides to darken it.
Medicating with low dose of copper.

FIsh seemed okay until today (2 weeks in qt.). Yesterday was swimming in the bubbles - today acting limp. I'm wondering if the Fluval is not putting enough oxygen in the tank. Or maybe enough copper - could the Ich be affecting its breathing? Been trying to get copper test strips before additional dosing, but LFS only open weekends.

I welcome any suggestions to keep her alive. SHe actually looks much, much better than 2 weeks ago - good color and very few white spots.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:05 AM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Without parameters there isn't much to say really. This could be ammonia or even copper poisoning if one isn't keeping up with water changes.
How big is the qt...and how big is the display?

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:15 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

All parameters are within acceptable levels. QT is 18 gal. Display is 75 and I've been doing frequent water changes there. ph 8.2-8.4, Nitrate 20ppm, Nitrite 0-.25 (looks clear against white paper, slightly purple against the color card-I think a reflection) Ammonia 0.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:08 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Is the carbon in the Fluval absorbing the copper? I wonder if I should take the carbon pouch out? I can finally get some copper test strips after work tonight, but not sure if my tang will make it.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:15 AM   #5
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

The copper will easily leach into things like the carbon. A QT shouldn't have anything in it besides water and some PVC to hide in with daily water changes to address parameters because of copper based medications and beneficial bacteria not being able to survive through hyposalinity.
That said, I'd want to point my finger towards the lack of space in a 75 gallon for a tang and an angel. Adding another large fish to a medium sized tank can easily lead to aggression issues. Tie that in to the tang loosing it's hiding spot like you stated...set up for disaster. This could have been even more spread thin if the tang was one of the larger ones that needs the space of a 6ft tank to be able to thrive...though if you kept it for so long I'd want to be inclinded to believe it was a tomini, bristletooth, or kole tang.
So, if the tang was using this box as a hiding spot...how much live rock is in the system? If the lbs per gallon rule wasn't being applied here that is stressing and limiting the amount of beneficial bacteria in the system and limiting the amount of hiding places for fish to live in.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

90#live rock. I am more concerned with the qt right now. It has only pvc and Fluval biofilter. Should I remove the carbon packet? Test oxygen? Or is her breathing more likely due to parasite? She looks good but is weak.my trigger is doing ok in qt but hiding and not eating well. I will be running to the fish store after work to pick up copper test strips and anything else that might help.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:58 PM   #7
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

No, this wouldn't be copper issue. This sounds more like stressed out fish in a QT. I'd keep up with water changes. There being nitrates means that there were levels of ammonia and nitrite in there and is not helping matters.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:25 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

I did a 50% water change just now. I think maybe my qt is too small. I thought it was 18 gallons, but just measured it and it is only 13. I'm thinking I should go get a bigger one. There's a sale this weekend at Petsmart and the tanks aren't that much. That would mean moving them again though....

Tested the copper and it was so faint that it was nearly zero or <0.25. I will work on more frequent water changes and balancing out the copper.

Should I take all the filter materials out - the sponge and white rock/cubes?
Old 07-24-2015, 10:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

What is the optimum level of copper?
Old 07-24-2015, 11:38 PM   #10
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Well, any sponge and rock you won't be able to use in any tank you keep inverts in as it will leach out of those. In terms of copper treatment, someone that has done it would need to chime in.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com