Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-04-2004, 10:57 PM   #1
cj10488

Oceanic Sea Salt WOW

Ok well I have been having battles not being able to find my salt of choice so since Oceanic released some new salt I figured Id do some research and found that ppl on RC were coming up with some impresive #s as in Ca, Alk, Mg, Ect so I figure I would try and find some and found a 200gal bucket on sale for 39.99 so i picked it up and brought it home.. First thing that I noticed is that it is very fine and almost dissolves as quick as you can pour it in... After about 10 mins it is perfectly clear... I overmixed the first batch due to it being so fine and didnt have and Ro/di on hand to fix it so i am waiting for that but here are the numbers at 40ppt which are Extremely Impresive.. this is after about 15 mins of being in the tub mixing with a powerhead..

Sg 40ppt
pH 8.0 with ph meter and rising
Alk 3.20
Ca 630
Mg 1950

the Ca and Mg levels are a bit high but I believe this is 100% due to the fact of the Sg being at 40ppt.. I plan to retest as soon as its brought down to 35ppt.. Weeeeeeee I found the salt of my dreams.. If you want me to test anything else Pleaseeee let me know and I can test just about whatever.. Every test kit is either Seachem or Salifert or digital..

James
Old 02-05-2004, 12:32 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Dewey
That Sounds great .Keep the info comeing on this salt. Let me know what you come up with when Sg is adjusted.

Thanks Dewey

Old 02-05-2004, 12:33 AM   #3
cj10488

Will Do.. I should have some good #'s shortly.. I used the batch that I had finally got down to 35ppt to do my much needed water change so I have another batch started and will let Everyone Know when thats done..

james
Old 02-05-2004, 01:10 AM   #4
cj10488

Well I went thru and mixed up 1gal to 35ppt and tested it after about 10mins of it mixing.. here is the results..

Sg 35ppt
Alk 2.74
Ca 520
Mg 1560
pH 8.0

It seems as though the Ca and Mg are Perfectly balanced High but balanced.. Mg should be 3X's the CA... I will retest again tomorrow evening after I have a larger batch made and it has more time to mix...

James
Old 02-05-2004, 08:46 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

cj,
Interesting, can you give us the offical name thats on the bucket, I would like to investigate.

I can just picture you in your fish room or kitchen, looking like a mad scientist, mixing your secret formula and writing your findings down. Are Dr. Jeckel or Mr. Hyde. My kids call me Dr. Jeckel. LOL

Thanks

www.panhandlereefers.com

Join N. Florida Regional Forum
GrndHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 09:04 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

does anyone have findings of the other salts such as IO, tropical marine, crystal sea and reef crystals for comparison.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:18 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
There is a link in our links area of a compairson done about 5 years ago. Thats the most recent that I know of that has published results. Dr Ron and a few other compaines supposedly have done tests more recent to this but I dont know how public their results are.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 11:33 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Dewey
I went on the Oceanic web site they have all the info on the site, on the salt if interested. 8)
Old 02-05-2004, 01:42 PM   #9
cj10488

Quote:
cj,
Interesting, can you give us the offical name thats on the bucket, I would like to investigate
Its Oceanic Natural Sea Salt mix.

Quote:
does anyone have findings of the other salts such as IO, tropical marine, crystal sea and reef crystals for comparison
What I say that we do Is just as we have been doing with the lighting thing.. Anyone that uses IO, Tropic Marin, Kent, Coralife, Oceanic, red Sea, Crystal Seas to post your readings into one thread for Each.. That way someone like you or me could go into there and compare the numbers.. Aaron or Kevin Does that sound like an awesome Idea???

James
Old 02-05-2004, 03:39 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I cannot find the stuff anywhere for sale....anyone have any purchase options?

Tags
oceanic, salt, sea

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com