Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-24-2004, 04:25 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

my clown swims sideways at night or when he is hosting something usually a chunk of silicone in the corner of the tank or the power head for the skimmer. other times he just swims around normal. i wouldnt really worry.

just my thoughts
steve r

Old 12-24-2004, 04:41 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

I experience the same thing with my 2 Oscilleris Clowns. I removed the damsel now they got they whole tank to themselves. One got its fins nipped so bad that half the lower half of the tail is missing and the entire dorsal fin is missing. I am hoping they will grow back.

20 Gallon Long, 2 Ocellaris Clownfish, 3 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crabs, 1 Carpet Anemone, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, 20 LBS of LS and about 6 LBS of LR.

Marineland Millenium HOB Filter.
Marineland Seaclone 100 Skimmer.
Powersweep PH
2 10,000k HO
2 Actinic HO
gozetec02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 04:46 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to turboTSI Send a message via Yahoo to turboTSI
do as they said remove the bubbles and continue

Dave
turboTSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 01:06 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

One thing that I noticed is that one of my clowns swallowed some air because of its voracious eating and then had a hard time getting down until the air was "burped" back out. In the meantime he just swam sideways at the surface. I really wouldn't worry too much, unless you see one of your other fish harassing him.
For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities...have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:20)
johnkristie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 01:27 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to turboTSI Send a message via Yahoo to turboTSI
that could be that maybe he got some air in his swim bladder and cant swim correct.. put your hand i the tank near him and see if he swims around correctly

Dave
turboTSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 10:34 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I had the same problem with my clowns! During the day when the lights were on they would seem to be normal. (the temp is higher and alge grows) Then when the lights went out they went back to the top, swimming on their sides. (the temp drops and no oxygen is produced)
I installed a sufface skimmer and they have not done it since!
A BAC PAC protien skimmer with a surface skimming box was a great fix the problem.
I was told that the skimate was so thick that the fish could not breath.
Good luck,
Jason
Old 12-29-2004, 12:09 PM   #17
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedukeman
I was told that the skimate was so thick that the fish could not breath.
I think you'll find it was the DOC/proteins trapped at the waters surface. The build up at the waters surface will form a barrier preventing proper gas exchange. While a skimmer is definately a plus it was the skimmer box removing that barrier that would have been the improvement, not the skimmer itself. Although the skimmer helps remove DOC from the water column which also stifles available O2. FWIW, a powerhead aimed at the water's surface would have accomplished the same goal.

Quote:
Then when the lights went out they went back to the top, swimming on their sides. (the temp drops and no oxygen is produced)
Cooler temps hold more O2 not the other way round. O2 is definately supressed after lights out but it's not the drop in temp. The lights cause algaes within the system to produce O2 during the day and much like houseplants without light they produce CO2 at night. It's the CO2 that lowers available O2. That combined with the slime trapped at the surface would have been your issue. In short, improper gas exchange.

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-30-2004, 12:23 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Yah! What he said!!!

Tags
clown, clownfish, ocellaris, ocellaris clownfish, surface, swimming

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com