Ocellaris Clownfish are swimming at the surface

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

teejlp

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I introduced 2 clowns to my new tank 2 months ago and they were happy, healthy and full-tank swimmers until a few weeks ago. The smaller of the 2 keeps swimming at the surface on its side. They seem to continue to eat, and all of the tank's levels are in balance. I don't know what's wrong, and they don't appear to have any problems other than staying at the very top..and the one staying more horizontal.

I have the water movement quite high because I noticed that the clowns liked to "swim the rapids" when they first arrived.

I'm a newbie, and really need some advice here. Thank you!

Teri
Rapid City, SD

maybe you need more water movement at the top so they can have more air into the tank. and is it just me or dont fish usually swim horizontal?

brin yoru powerhead up to the surface more to get more surface agitation... that is a plus.... then let us know what happens

btw I think he means with one fin pointing to the sky.. def not normal swimming

Dave

UPDATE on my clown

I've been reading all of the posts and have determined that it could be a couple of reasons that my clown is swimming on its side at the top of the tank.

I'm introduced some spinach with their shrimp this morning and all seemed to enjoy it. (I have the 2 clowns and one blue damsel)

I turned up the O2 levels pumping out at the top. I usually have this going all the time but you can see by the pic that I've turned it up.

I do have a blue damsel that seems to RULE the middle of the tank, so I'm also wondering if stress and fear of the damsel is causing some weird behavior?

The little clown is still eating so that is a good sign and I'll continue to update.

Thank you!

Teri

Your clowns seem to be "hosting" in the powerhead. They are basically hiding. If you have aggressive fish such as the damsel you indicated, they will naturally seek out a territory of their own for protection.

I would however discontinue the use of the air injector, it's not necessary. Having the powerhead aggressively ripple the surface water is far more efficient and less messy. Injecting bubbles into the water actually does very little.

Cheers
Steve

So more O2 won't be a fix for my clown?

Now I'm even more confused. So more O2 into the water isn't the fix?

Those bubbles arn't o2, well not necessarily, you can plug the air hole on the powerhead and just point the "spray" nozzle at the surface of the water and get a better rate of exchange, in addition you won' thave the "micro bubbles" all over your tank.

my clown swims sideways at night or when he is hosting something usually a chunk of silicone in the corner of the tank or the power head for the skimmer. other times he just swims around normal. i wouldnt really worry.

just my thoughts
steve r

I experience the same thing with my 2 Oscilleris Clowns. I removed the damsel now they got they whole tank to themselves. One got its fins nipped so bad that half the lower half of the tail is missing and the entire dorsal fin is missing. I am hoping they will grow back.

One thing that I noticed is that one of my clowns swallowed some air because of its voracious eating and then had a hard time getting down until the air was "burped" back out. In the meantime he just swam sideways at the surface. I really wouldn't worry too much, unless you see one of your other fish harassing him.

that could be that maybe he got some air in his swim bladder and cant swim correct.. put your hand i the tank near him and see if he swims around correctly

Dave

I had the same problem with my clowns! During the day when the lights were on they would seem to be normal. (the temp is higher and alge grows) Then when the lights went out they went back to the top, swimming on their sides. (the temp drops and no oxygen is produced)
I installed a sufface skimmer and they have not done it since!
A BAC PAC protien skimmer with a surface skimming box was a great fix the problem.
I was told that the skimate was so thick that the fish could not breath.
Good luck,
Jason

thedukeman said:
I was told that the skimate was so thick that the fish could not breath.
I think you'll find it was the DOC/proteins trapped at the waters surface. The build up at the waters surface will form a barrier preventing proper gas exchange. While a skimmer is definately a plus it was the skimmer box removing that barrier that would have been the improvement, not the skimmer itself. Although the skimmer helps remove DOC from the water column which also stifles available O2. FWIW, a powerhead aimed at the water's surface would have accomplished the same goal.

Then when the lights went out they went back to the top, swimming on their sides. (the temp drops and no oxygen is produced)
Cooler temps hold more O2 not the other way round. O2 is definately supressed after lights out but it's not the drop in temp. The lights cause algaes within the system to produce O2 during the day and much like houseplants without light they produce CO2 at night. It's the CO2 that lowers available O2. That combined with the slime trapped at the surface would have been your issue. In short, improper gas exchange. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom