Ocellaris Clownfish - Need Some Help Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boulder

Aquarium Advice Activist
I need some advice on my clownfish behavior.

Yesterday we noticed one of our Tank Bred Ocellaris Clownfish was not swimming around as usual but was hanging out towards the bottom. I fed frozen mysis to the tank and he ate aggressively as usual. Throughout the day I observed and any time I approached the tank he was up at the front (kinda like a puppy wanting fed) but when I would observe from a distance he would settle back down on the bottom in a 'bowl' he had wallowed out in the sand.

Rather than jump to conclusions and starting an array of treatments ... I referenced my fish books and did some online research last night and couldn't conclude what may be the potential problem - other than maybe my dissolved oxygen levels are low. So last night I pointed one of the power-heads more upwards to better agitate the water surface and I left the glass canopy open for better gas exchange.

This morning the clown is swimming a bit more in the water column but still not as active as he has been the first 5 weeks we had him. I did go against my every other day feeding schedule and dropped some ORA pellets in to see if he was eating and he took a pellet or two but didn't eat in his normal voracious approach. I also notice he is keeping his mouth open but his gills don't seem to be indicative of laborious breathing. No other visible signs of disease or injury.

Water Parameters are:

Specific Gravity: 1.025
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10ppm
Temperature: 79
PH: 7.8

Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
You said 'one of our'.

How many others do you have?
Mated pairs?
Is this the female (larger)?

Perhaps you're going to be a grandpa/grandma

Or just some more normal psychotic clown behavior

We have two clownfish that we bought together however they were not sold as a mated pair. As far as size, it is hard to tell as they look darn near identical in size.

One indicator of a potential health problem is that he is holding his mouth open. I just observed again and our other clown opens and closes it's mouth but the one in question is swimming with it's mouth open. I couldn't see any signs of a growth or anything in or around his mouth. The clown is also holding his pelvic fins closer to his body that normal.

When I talked to my LFS yesterday and described the behavior they said the same thing - 'welcome to the world of the birds and the bees' - however, I still think there may be a potential health issue ...???

Could be, observation is the key but if your water params are good; you haven't added anything new or done anything different.. It may just be......

Your clowns may have had a dominance fight and the one by the PH lost.
Here is a picture of my Perc's hangout.
img_1021318_0_03a0a8b843cd0203aafaedb355110f61.jpg

Well - after another day of observation, things have changed some. Our clown has been swimming better today and hanging out more on the mid level of the water column above our live rock.

However, we have noticed a few additional indicators that things are not right. Our clown has been holding his mouth open all day and now we notice his lips are turning white (no sign of flukes) and he has either a poo or body slime hanging from him (it's white in color).

Any thoughts?

Symptoms sound like Brooklynella Hostilis , clownfish disease, or any number of other diseases. I'll PM you a research site

Good call Captain...Could you PM me that site also.
Thanks in advance...

Thanks Captain, appreciate the links.

This morning our clown was about the same (he picked at some food) so this evening after work (I'm hoping our fish hangs in through the day) I am gonna try and go by my LFS as see what kind of meds they suggest.

Back
Top Bottom