Ocellaris Pair Fighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nrapp33

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had a pair of Tank Bread Ocellaris Clowns that I have had for 6 months. They where in a tank full of ocellaris. One has grown larger than the other. Now the larger has began attacking the smaller (male). He is submissive but still getting a beat down. He has almost lost one of his pectoral fins. I tried catching her but couldn't get her without removing all the rock work. I did get him and pulled him out. He is in a qt tank. I got him out a couple days ago and he is fine.

Questions are this:
-why was she beating him up?
-can I put him back in?
-what should I do?

Thanks

How long has the larger one been picking at him? The larger on will pick at the smaller one to show its dominance, but if she has been doing it for awhile then they may not make a good pair.

They may just be pairing, my true percula's did that. She still picks at him every once in awhile and he'll turn on his side and start twitching to show he gives up. You may want to put him back in and just watch to see what there doing. If he starts twitching then he is showing her he gives up an that just mean there pairing.

Sounds like the normal process of becoming a mating pair. Mine have been for about a year now and they still have occasional marital squabbles lol. I'd put him back and just keep watching.

I wouldn't say its a mating thing just yet, just the female showing the male who's the boss.the mating twitch may come later after they have settled down together.

Back
Top Bottom