Ocellaris with ulceration/red area on both sides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cwhybrow

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Our one week old ocellaris has what appears to be an ulcerated/re area on both sides of it's body.

She has a male partner and they spend their entire time together. The fish shop proprietor has suggested that it may be due to the male constantly rubbing against her, but we are concerned that it may be something more severe as it appears to be getting slowly worse.

Can anyone suggest a cause for this?

I am attaching a photo of the effected area.

Thanks

Christine

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com :)

Looks like Brooklynella hostilis, it will often be accompanied by small bare skin lesions and is very common in wild caught species.

You need to >>quarantine<< all the fish in this tank and treat them with copper and/or formalin dips. Usually if caught in time copper will be sufficient. If available I would suggest a chelated copper like Cupramine, just be sure to use the corresponding chelated copper test.

Cheers
Steve

October 2002 Aquarium Fish Magazine Article by Scott Michael said:
Anemone Fish Disease
This ciliated protozoa. known as Brooklynella hostilis , infects both the gills and skin of fish. Two of the most diagnostic symptoms of this infection are the sloughing of protective skin cells and increased secretion of mucus. The infected fish may also I become lethargic, exhibit respiratory distress, stop feeding and display areas of discolored skin on the body.
Like Uronema , this parasite feeds on the tissue and blood of its host, and causes osmoregulatory distress as it opens portals for the loss of body water to the marine environment. The gill tissue can also be damaged by the parasite's feeding activity. Unlike Uronema , anemonefish disease must have a host to survive.
Brooklynella usually becomes apparent when fish are experiencing unusual amounts of stress. For example, it is often seen in young anemonefish that are crowded in wholesale facilities or retail stores. It gets its name from the fact that it regularly infects anemonefish, but it will parasitize other fish species, as well (e.g., it is a common seahorse parasite).
One of the most commonly employed treatments for Brooklynella is to use a combination of formalin and malachite green. However, care should be taken with fish that have severe skin damage, as this will make them more sensitive to formalin treatment (it could poison them). Malachite green can be used on its own at a concentration of 0.10 part per million (ppm) (Blasiola, 1992). Once again, the best treatment option is to lower the saliniity. This will eradicate the parasite and help reduce osmoregulatory distress in your fish. Note that copper is not an i effective treatment for this parasite.

Back
Top Bottom