Odd behavior from new false percula...please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

siwelk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently picked up a new false percula clownfish for my FO aquarium. Since I've introduced him into my tank he has hardly moved from the corner of my where my heater is located. He spends all of his time swimming at the suface of the water and his breathing seems rather rapid. I have seen him eat...but not much since my blue damsel is more of the aggressor. My water params are as follows:

Salinity 1.020
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 20ppm
Temp 80F

He doesnt move around much...just spends most of his time very near the top of the water almost like he is trying to get out. I'm guessing maybe its stress from a higher nitrate level...although my damsel and CBS shrimp seem to be thriving. Any help is appreciated. I think I'll just do a 50% water change in the mean time....Thanks.

It the damsel picking on him?
He is probably stressed. Give him a few days.

When I first introduced the clownfish the damsel kind of "sized him up" but I havent seen anything much more...at least in a violent sort of way. I tried to feed my percula but he is not eating and hes moving around very very little. He's moving around so little that i was actually able to pet him. :roll: He's still chillin at the very top of my tank so I dunno what I'm gonna do. Thanks for the help.

I would just wait a day or two and make sure he is eating, when feeding you could try to add food on the damsel's side to keep him busy and then add some by the clown to insure he gets a chance at food. This assuming the Damsel is scaring the clown off, clowns are fairly agressive eaters so in time I would assume he would become adjusted to the tank and fight for his own meal.

Do you have one or two clowns in the tank? I have mine paired up and they do fine, even with the hawk and wrasse that seem to grab all the food.

Hope of this helps...

Yeah, so i wake up this morning and my percula is dead. I think I'm gonna give petco a call since ive had the little bugger for only 48 hrs. Oh well. Thanks for the help guys.

Most of the time that I have seen fish at petco, it turns into a rescue operation. I feel they don't have the best tank conditions.

I don't think they have a gaurentee on their fish but it never hurts to yell at them about it. Freeze the fish in a baggie and take it in there.

Sorry for the lose of your fish RIP.

If you decide to get more clowns I suggest buying a pair of them.

Back
Top Bottom