Odd Flame Angel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scubasteve

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey,
just got a flame angel a week ago, and it seems to be acting odd ( could be normal for it im no sure) he doesnt seem to eat the flake food img iving him as much as the other clowns and damsels do, he does eat algage of some of the hoses and rocks though. He seems to go to the surface once inawhile as if to get a gasp of air but i checked my levels and ammonia: 0 nitrites: 0, ph: 8.0 , salinity 1.023 , copper: 0 , everything seems to be reasonable, and i just performed a 10 gallon water change today to give them some fresh water, as well as replacing half the filter pads and half the carbon.

Is this normal, i thought most fish would swim all around instead of hangin around one place for most of the time.

yea theres two big air stones at the bottom that breaks up each side of the tank pretty well, and where the water output is moves the water around pretty decently
is a ph of 8.0 too low or something? im not sure what other levels i could check.

scubasteve said:
is a ph of 8.0 too low or something? im not sure what other levels i could check.
Depends on the time of day the reading was taken?

Cheers
Steve

How big is your tank? Maybe the water change wasn't sufficient. Most fish will move around a bit. If you have had him for a week, then he should be used to the aquarium. When i got a small damsel to cycle, he hung out in one spot. However, that could be because my PH was VERY high. I wound up killing him. Anyways, post the size ASAP. I might be able to tell you your problem.
:snipersmile: :scatter: :rocket:

It takes certain fish a little more time then 1 week to aclimate to a new tank. If you have a good amount of hidding spots then he should feel quite comfortable. For food I would definatly get him the Formula 1. They have a mix for Dwarf or Flame Angels I think as they require a specific diet.

Jc

I disagree with you all, as long as the fish is eating and shows no signs of ich, parasites or velvet desease, I will just continue feeding him, but I would try algae source foods, like algae sheets, veggie flakes washed in Garlic so they can have wha they are use to in thier nature resources. Also, check to see if the other fish are harassing him or out compete him for food. The same thing was happening with my Powder Blue Tang and when I got him out and placed him in a new tank with more peacful partners, he stopped gasping for air and ate almost everything I threw in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom