Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-19-2008, 04:34 PM   #11
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Remember when you are fighting algea that it didnt get that way overnite and it wont disappear over nite. It `s a long slow process but it can be done. I recommend you use a toothbrush and rubberband it to the end of your siphon hose and when you do a PWC scrub the LR where the algea is and it will come loose and siphon it up with your hose. Do that everytime you do your frequent PWC`s and you`ll see a reduction of it from your tank. Also a blackout of your tank for a day or two will help also and will not hurt your coral.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:09 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to HoCkEyGmC
dont emerald crabs eat bubble algea?

Old 09-19-2008, 08:50 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Yes or no....sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:10 PM   #14
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Hit or miss.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:35 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I have entertained, in the past, covering the BA with something that didn't let the light through (never tried it though). Using that method MIGHT work, but that is really a band-aid solution.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:50 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to Jayhawker518
I have an emerald crab in there. He doesnt seem very interested in the bubble algae. There is only a couple of them.

I may try to rubberband hose method and see if that helps. I blacked out the lights for the weekend, everyone seems happy for now we will see.

Thanks for all the help. Hopefully this wont continue to happen and yes I know i need to get my RO.DI system at some point
Old 10-01-2008, 05:25 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok, Im back. Things arent very good.

I tested again all my params look decent. However im going to take it to the LFS to get a second opinion. I did some more PWCs and that was fine.

However my coral is not happy with me at all. The hair/bubble algae isnt growing anymore but its not going away. My clean up crew is still kicking fine but its just not going down.

My plan (now tell me if this is a good idea or bad) i need an answer like NOW. I am removing all my coral and putting it in my old tank with some new water and some partial water from the tank now. hopefully they will be happier.
Im going to take all my rock out and scrub it, its about 180 lbs so that will be fun. Also my sump has some odd crap in it that im going to take out. Ill do this over the next 4 days.

Does that work??? HELP!
Old 10-01-2008, 09:07 PM   #18
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
What have you changed since you 1st posted?
Are you using RO/DI water now?
Did you get new gfo for the phosphate reactor?

You can take all the rock out and scrub the algae off, but that won't stop it from coming back unless you made some changes to what you had been doing. Is the tank you plan to move everything to already established? If not, I would try to get it done in 1 day. You can do the sump another day. I would probably do a good 30-40% water change with RO/DI water when you take the rock out. Try not to disturb the sand bed too.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:45 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's only been a couple weeks since you posted this problem. As melosu mentioned earlier, fighting algae issues is NOT a 2-week thing. It just doesn't work that way. With bubble algae, scrubbing will most likely NOT get all the algae tissue, and you need to remove the entire thing including the anchor to the rock. That usually means chipping away some of the rock. Breaking down an existing tank to deal with it is a lot of work, that in my opinion, will just result in frustration because eventually it will grow back. Better to deal with it in the tank and cut off it's food supply while eliminating the existing population.

Regarding the health of your corals, again... I really don't think the pH issue was because of the algae. I think you have water issues (and algae issues) because of the tap water. Even if you have already switched to RO/DI water, it's going to take a while for things to turn around. Good things don't happen quick in this hobby.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:08 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah so I took out one rock last night and tried to scrub it. Forget that idea.

Now I guess the next question is where is the best place to get a RO/DI filter. I cannot let this tank go I have had it for over a year now and to let it crash now is not an option.

I understand the patience thing, I just got nervous seeing my corals like that. I am going to do another large water change tonight and turn off the lights again. My phosban reactor is back up and working great with new media so thats better.

I guess ill just wait this one out. Thanks for the help

Tags
high ph

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com