Odd Situation - Most likely High PH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jayhawker518

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, I havent posted on here in a while because my tank has been happy.

Here is the deal I have a 120 gal with a 30 sump. All the good stuff for it, phosban reactor, skimmer, etc.

Now I have a mix of soft corals and a bunch of fish, all my fish are fine.
However a couple of my zoas and my kenya tree are closed up. They were growing huge for a while.

Parameters:
As of 8:00pm last night
Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
Phosphate 0
Calcium 520 (a little high)
PH 8.8 (I know its high)
Ammonia 0

Ok so I know there is a correlation between hair/bubble algae and a high PH because it eats the CO3 causing high PH.

I have hair algae/bubble algae from when my phosban reactor was done.

So to get the PH down and to get rid of the hair/bubble algae what do I do?

I can take the 160 lbs of rock out and clean them all
The phosphates are 0 now that the phosban reactor is good
I do my weekly 10 gallon water changes and bi weekly 20s so i will keep doing that.

Any other ideas? I need to save the corals!!!

Pretty high calcium for just soft corals. Are you running a calcium reactor to get that high, or just supplementing? Also... what's your alkalinity?

Easiest way to get pH down is to just do some water changes.

Yeah I know its pretty high calcium, but I think that goes hand in hand with the high PH. With again I think comes from the hair/bubble algae.

Any ideas how to attack the bubble/hair algae?

I am doing water changes every other day now until I can get it down, and the hair algae is slowly going away.

Im not dosing kalk or any supplements at all.

Couple things don't really make sense to me here.
Ok so I know there is a correlation between hair/bubble algae and a high PH because it eats the CO3 causing high PH.
??? Dunno what carbon trioxide (co3) has to do with anything. I never heard it referenced anywhere, and especially being a factor in a high pH situation. I suggest you read this article. CHEMISTRY AND THE AQUARIUM by RANDY HOLMES-FARLEY
Yeah I know its pretty high calcium, but I think that goes hand in hand with the high PH. With again I think comes from the hair/bubble algae.
??? Read the article I linked to above.
Any ideas how to attack the bubble/hair algae?
Nusiance algae is cause by high nutrients. If you see any nusiance algae and your test shows 0 phosphate, it does so because, a) the available phosphate in the tank is being used as food by the algae, b) the hobby grade kits we use aren't accurate enought to read low phosphate levels. If you have nusiance algae, you can be sure you have either high phosphate, high nitrates and/or a high concentration of dissolved organic compounds (DOC's).These are all algae foods.
Im not dosing kalk or any supplements at all.
What kind of salt are you using that your ca is that high without any supplementation? What is your alk level? What is the pH of the fresh water you use for top offs and water changes?

You're right about the high pH with the high Ca - they often do go hand in hand. But the algae isn't causing it. The high pH isn't probably helping you rid yourself of the algae, but it isn't the cause - as cccapt mentioned.

I also am interested in how you're getting 520ppm Ca without supplementation. Are you using tap water to mix with the salt? Or RO/DI?

Ok lets see what I can respond to here.

Im not using RO/DI water that was the next planned step in my aquarium but I do use tap water, its not well water. I use reef crystals which I read are one of the only good ones.

I read the 10 steps to nuisance algae, ive done most of it.
I have a fuge skimmer phos reactor, i will now shut the lights off for a couple days maybe the weekend.

Will that effect my corals?

I guess my question is, do I take each piece of rock out and scrub it? Or hope it goes away? Thats alot of rock. I mean my clean up crew has been beating away at it but its all over.

Ill continue doing water changes each week.

Its been so long without any problems I guess I was really surprised and angry when this all came out of no where. (Well not no where it came because my phosban reactor was done)

The PH thing, i guess the water changes will help this? And go away over time, and I have to say i did read somewhere that the PH goes up because something to do with the algae eating something. Im to lazy to find it.

Ok so my corals are starting to look a little better. I dont see any new hair algae growth and I have been doing my water changes.

This is great however, would there be any reason for me to take all the rocks out and clean them?

I would take them out only as a last result. Removing algae takes patience and a little bit of work. I doubt I would personally do that myself just to remove algae.

Last edited:
Remember when you are fighting algea that it didnt get that way overnite and it wont disappear over nite. It `s a long slow process but it can be done. I recommend you use a toothbrush and rubberband it to the end of your siphon hose and when you do a PWC scrub the LR where the algea is and it will come loose and siphon it up with your hose. Do that everytime you do your frequent PWC`s and you`ll see a reduction of it from your tank. Also a blackout of your tank for a day or two will help also and will not hurt your coral.

Yes or no....sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.

I have entertained, in the past, covering the BA with something that didn't let the light through (never tried it though). Using that method MIGHT work, but that is really a band-aid solution.

I have an emerald crab in there. He doesnt seem very interested in the bubble algae. There is only a couple of them.

I may try to rubberband hose method and see if that helps. I blacked out the lights for the weekend, everyone seems happy for now we will see.

Thanks for all the help. Hopefully this wont continue to happen and yes I know i need to get my RO.DI system at some point

Ok, Im back. Things arent very good.

I tested again all my params look decent. However im going to take it to the LFS to get a second opinion. I did some more PWCs and that was fine.

However my coral is not happy with me at all. The hair/bubble algae isnt growing anymore but its not going away. My clean up crew is still kicking fine but its just not going down.

My plan (now tell me if this is a good idea or bad) i need an answer like NOW. I am removing all my coral and putting it in my old tank with some new water and some partial water from the tank now. hopefully they will be happier.
Im going to take all my rock out and scrub it, its about 180 lbs so that will be fun. Also my sump has some odd crap in it that im going to take out. Ill do this over the next 4 days.

Does that work??? HELP!

What have you changed since you 1st posted?
Are you using RO/DI water now?
Did you get new gfo for the phosphate reactor?

You can take all the rock out and scrub the algae off, but that won't stop it from coming back unless you made some changes to what you had been doing. Is the tank you plan to move everything to already established? If not, I would try to get it done in 1 day. You can do the sump another day. I would probably do a good 30-40% water change with RO/DI water when you take the rock out. Try not to disturb the sand bed too.

It's only been a couple weeks since you posted this problem. As melosu mentioned earlier, fighting algae issues is NOT a 2-week thing. It just doesn't work that way. With bubble algae, scrubbing will most likely NOT get all the algae tissue, and you need to remove the entire thing including the anchor to the rock. That usually means chipping away some of the rock. Breaking down an existing tank to deal with it is a lot of work, that in my opinion, will just result in frustration because eventually it will grow back. Better to deal with it in the tank and cut off it's food supply while eliminating the existing population.

Regarding the health of your corals, again... I really don't think the pH issue was because of the algae. I think you have water issues (and algae issues) because of the tap water. Even if you have already switched to RO/DI water, it's going to take a while for things to turn around. Good things don't happen quick in this hobby.

Yeah so I took out one rock last night and tried to scrub it. Forget that idea.

Now I guess the next question is where is the best place to get a RO/DI filter. I cannot let this tank go I have had it for over a year now and to let it crash now is not an option.

I understand the patience thing, I just got nervous seeing my corals like that. I am going to do another large water change tonight and turn off the lights again. My phosban reactor is back up and working great with new media so thats better.

I guess ill just wait this one out. Thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom