Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-02-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

off parameters

Just want to see what I need to get for my tank.. For the 1st time after testing my parameters are high.. except for my PH

Ph-8.0
Ammonia- .25-.50
Nitrite-.25
Nitrate- 30

please help

Old 06-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

How old is this tank? Are there fish in it yet? If you have fish, do whatever water changes you need to get it below .25 ammonia. If no fish, it is ok to let ammonia rise to 4.0. Over time the ammonia should rise and come back down to 0, as should the nitrite.

dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:04 PM   #3

Tank has been established since easter. There is a threadnose butterfly, 2 clowns, black molly live rock and an aneomone. We had a problem cause the power went out and the water wasnt getting filtered and i think it was stopped for at least a day. we were pretty busy and didnt notice. Last night we did change some of the water out.. so could that just be why the numbers are a little high?
Old 06-02-2011, 03:57 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

First order of buisness is to do some PWC`s. Ammonia needs to be 0 and nitrite close to 0. Secondly you need to find the cause of ammonia. Whether it`s overfeeding or tap water or something died. It could be that your tank is cycling now if you did not cycle. Thirdly, An anenome should never be in a tank under a yr old IMo. Too many parameter swings like you are experiencing now. Hope it works out.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like most of your biological filtration is in your filter, and you got an ammonia spike when it was not running. Water changes to keep the fish comfortable while everything re-cycles should do the trick. It should re-cycle quickly if you keep your old filter media.
dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskidmore View Post
Sounds like most of your biological filtration is in your filter, and you got an ammonia spike when it was not running. Water changes to keep the fish comfortable while everything re-cycles should do the trick. It should re-cycle quickly if you keep your old filter media.

ok thanks.. yea sounds like it changed cause the filter wasnt running. I will check tonight and see if anything has changed

Tags
meters, parameters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com