Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-05-2005, 05:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh no...Did I just put another fish killer in my tank?

So I finally have added two fish (small clowns) back into my tank after the previous ones were "taken out" by my CBS. The CBS is now gone (although I'm not proud of the way I had to do it).
Last weekend I purchased a brittle star. I thought they were all the same and he would just help to keep my sandbed clean. He is green in color and as I've done some more reading I think he may be a killer also.
Should I remove him to the QT and take him back to the LFS?

TIA
Steve

Old 10-05-2005, 05:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
I would take it out. Green brittles have a tendency to ea any fish they can catch.

Old 10-05-2005, 05:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
Yup the green ones can be more aggressive. I would take it back and opt for a serpent star, their arms don't break off as much and they are better to look at IMO
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 06:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

i have a huge brittle star, an easy 6-8 inches across, i've never seen him after any fish, curious now if i should take him out...

he is not green however, but brown with some tanish color stripes on the underside.
75g w/ 30g sump, 160# LR, 60# sand: Inverts =18 turbos, 30 nassirus's, 40 blue leg's, 5 emeralds, 1 CBS, 1 skunk cleaner, 1 brown gulf shrimp? and various other LR hitch hikers yet un discovered or un-ID'ed
Fish=1 yellow tang, 1 yellow headed jawfish, 1 pink/blue shrimpgoby, 2 perc clowns.
Future fish = 1 sixline, 1 lawnmower blenny
mykpoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 06:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Grrr...

Thanks guys, here's a pic of him...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg star_423.jpg (45.3 KB, 97 views)
Old 10-05-2005, 06:26 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
he is not green however, but brown with some tanish color stripes on the underside.
Should be Ok, its the green ones that are documented to be a problem.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:39 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Get a grey brittle. Kinda greyish pinkish. Very docile.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 08:09 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Stuart Send a message via MSN to Stuart
This is one of those stories I have never been able to get a true answer to.

I have heard it told that a green bristlestar will corner and kill fish. However, I have asked everyone who has ever kept them, or knows people that have ever kept them, and have yet to find any evidence of this. Is it one of those "Fish-keepers' Tales"?

IMO I have watched them and they don't seem to move that fast. I think any fish slow enough to get eaten by one was pretty poor to begin with.

Has anyone first or even second hand knowledge of these stars actually eating fish?
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 09:13 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Green brittle stars will indeed trap fish. It's not a fish keepers tale. I had a fish killer star and I made excuse after excuse that it wasn't him taking out my chromis. Til I actually got to see the it go into the trap stand. They stand on their denticles til a fish takes refuge under them. This will normally happen at night when the fish is looking for a safe haven to bed down. Small fish are the normal target. The fish trapping is less of a problem though if you keep the starfish well fed. Try target feeding it some shrimp, silverside, krill, whatever so it doesn't need to hunt.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:18 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I have always had the green brittles and have not had problems, but then, like Fluff suggested, mine are pretty well fed.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com