Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-19-2009, 09:54 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh, no, Ich again!

I just took my new hippo tang out of quarantine 3 weeks ago, where he did very well for 4 weeks after I purchased him. I had left the main tank fishless for 7 weeks after a bout of ich a couple of months ago. This morning, I see the dreaded white specks, and the tang is rubbing all over the sand and rocks.

Unfortunately, I have 4 tiny blue reef chromis in the quarantine for observation right now. They are (were, I'm afraid now) due to be released into the main tank next week. I also have two O. clowns in the main which will also need to go into QT.

I'd like to do the hypo treatment for all these fishes, but my QT is only ten gallons. Is that big enough to house these residents for the duration of treatment? I'll probably have to end up doing water changes daily .

The tang is about 2 1/2 inches from nose to tip of tail, the clowns are 2 and 2 1/2 inches, and the new chromis are 1 inch each. Is this plan doable?

Oh, did my water changes yesterday, and parameters are the same for both tanks:

NH3 0.0
NO2 0.0
NO3 between 5-10
SG 1.023
Temp 79

Thanks, one more time, for any advice.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:37 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
Are you sure it's Ich and not pieces of small sand grans stuck to him.... My tang sometimes has that and they fall off after awhile....

Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Did you treat the tang in the QT tank or just observe? If you didn't treat, he could have very well brought the ich in himself. For whatever reason, the new tank environment caused him to have a "flare up". Usually this occurs in the QT where they are particularily stressed and have cramped quarters. But if you didn't actually treat for ich while in QT, he's the likely culprit.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:48 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I`m one of those that does not believe in treating fish till you know they have . I think the OP said they had him in the QT for 4 weeks and the tang looked OK. 4 weeks should have been plenty of time to notice parasites. If thats all you got then that`s all you have as far as the tank. I sure wish though that you could pick up a twenty gallon tank at least.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
I think the OP said they had him in the QT for 4 weeks and the tang looked OK. 4 weeks should have been plenty of time to notice parasites.

Actually nope, that's not true. Fish can have small numbers of tolerable ich that never get out of control enough so we could notice.... until they are stressed. That's why I said the the QT usually causes an outbreak. But it doesn't guarantee it.

I wasn't recommending treatment, I was just asking. If they had treated, the source would not be the tang but something else.... just trying to put the pieces together.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:49 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I`m just saying that most peple will QT their fish for about 4 weeks. Yes I agree that the parasite could still be there as it needs a fish host to survive. I`m just trying to piece things together just like you are. I`m just saying that it does not necessarily mean it`s the tang.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

the die is cast, more advice needed

I just spent most of this afternoon catching and transferring my tang and two clowns into my QT. I have also lowered the SG from 1.022 to 1.020. It should go down to 1.009, am I correct? And how long does it stay there?

PS to Tank: It's definitely not sand grains !

PPS to everyone else: Thanks for all your input, and yes, the tang did spend 4 weeks in quarantine (no treatment) before going to my main tank. Three weeks after that is when the ich showed up.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:16 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to bawel Send a message via Skype™ to bawel
I think staying at 1.019 is okay, 1.009 is way too low for SG
bawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:28 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
I believe 1.009 sounds about right for hypo treatment.

Read this Article about Hypo
Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:32 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to bawel Send a message via Skype™ to bawel
Oh my bad... sorryyy

bawel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com