Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-26-2005, 01:13 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy
Your city water could be worse than mine. You never know exactly what is in it. If your house is older you could get lead, copper ect from the pipes. Who knows what we are actually drinking.

I top off with distilled water from kroger. But I did my intially fill with tap.

29 gal FW, boring...soon to be salt I think.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
AR15 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 01:52 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

ZACDL It would be in your best interest to get a RO or RO/DI unit if you plan to continue in the SW hobby. SW is much more demanding than FW. You could probably do a FW set up w/ little or no problems w/ the water your using

Old 04-26-2005, 08:36 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
As small as your tank is buy a couple 5 gallon jugs. Fill them with RO water from the local town (wal mart which is where I go every week). Your tank will be much happier. If I were a betting person I would bet that your well water has something that the fish are sensitive to. Where are you going to get city tap water?
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 10:17 AM   #14
zacdl

From the faucet.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:51 PM   #15
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Where are you in OK ? I ask because there are some old mining operations in OK which have leached out into the the soils.

I am having trouble with limestone bedrock contaminating your water unless there is some other cause. You have both well water and city. Is there a reason why the city put in a line ?

In one of the small towns that I lived in here in NH, our well was contaminated by a gas station, so the town put in lines to a town well.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:54 PM   #16
zacdl

OK our house is IN the city, and the house is ON city water.

We have a water well not hooked up to the house that I use to fill up my pond, and water the yard.

Enid, OK, Northeast Oklahoma, I dont know of any old mines in this area.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:20 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Don't use RO water if you don't want. No big deal. I used tap water for a long time with no issues. I thought that you could not get RO water.

If you get cyano later on, then you can deal with it.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:51 PM   #18
zacdl

Well, I wouldnt mind so much filling the tank with RO water now, and then using city water to top it off.

But, Since they say I will have more algae, I may have to go with RO then, as I really dont know how to treat algea in a SW aquarium.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:29 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

NM

Inverts
Green & Red Musrooms, Pumping Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Green/Purple Ricordia, Orange Ricordia, Green Acro, Bubble Coral, Hammer Coral, Maxima Clam, Crocea Clam, peppermint shrimp, various snails and crabs.

Fish
Yellow Tang, Mated Perculas, Bicolor Blenny, Elaegant Wrasse, Possum Wrasse, Clown Goby, Purple Pseudochromis, Coral Beauty, Golden Angel
seve1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 01:05 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy
I filled with tap and top off with distilled. With no algea problems.

I would maybe try to get my fish from somewhere else and see how they do. You could possibly be buying sick fish. Also make sure you acclimate the fish right. I killed a couple damsels because I through them in to fast. Between the shock and stress they died.

BTW thanks for the kudos.

29 gal FW, boring...soon to be salt I think.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
AR15 guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
die, died

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com