Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-25-2005, 11:06 PM   #1
OK Another fish died....

OK Now I am 0/3 of fish that have lived. Thats something like $32-33 down the pot.

I am at this point even willing to completely re-do the cycle.

Should I drain it out and then fill up with city water (Not doing the RO) then use some dechlorinator?

Or give up on saltwater all together?

PS I figured out if I push the protien skimmer lower into the water the bubbles will go higher up (And its not collecting anything at all I dont think theres anything in there to collect anymore)
Old 04-25-2005, 11:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
I haven't seen any other posts if you've made them. What seems to be happening to them?

Good luck! Kat
90 malawia cichlid
55 planted tropical community
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 11:16 PM   #3
The first one I used to cycle the tank (damsel), no wonder that one died.

The second one (chromis) died suddenly, and the third one did today as well.

I have NO CLUE whats going on, all I can think of is the heavy metal water.

Is it OK to re-start the cycle with dechlored city water and just use dechlored city water from now on?
Old 04-25-2005, 11:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
What kind of skimmer do you have? You'd have to have some really pristine water not to get skimmate. Sounds like a skimmer problem (I'm suffering with this right now too).

As for not going RO/DI... I'm sorry, but that's the only way you're going to eliminate the "WT? is in my water" issue. The good news is that at least that water is supposed to be drinkable so the worst you should end up with using that would be a cyano/hair algae outbreak.

With your next fish... Before you transfer the fish into your system, please make sure that your pH and SG match. If they don't match dump 1/2 of the water out and let it keep dripping (or keep moving shot glass at a time, one every 5 minutes depending on your method) until you get the parms matched.

I'd start over with the water but you should have enough bacteria established not to have to go through the cycle again.

Good luck. I hope this solves your problem once and for all. At least you're not using 40$ fish!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 11:26 PM   #5
Berlin Airlift 90.

Its well water that I have been using. I bet its pretty metally.

A cycle would give me a chance to collect some money as well, so its not that big of deal.

Ill do the city water thing, because the only place I could think would have that water would be the one LFS here in our area, which charges more than 100% of other places (More like 150%)
Old 04-26-2005, 12:01 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
You can get RO water from Walmart or most grocery stores.

I would test for the normal stuff and then try some hermits and/or snails. See what happens.

From your other thread ... don't buy a visijet skimmer. Skimmer helps but is not neccessary for fish to live. Save your money and get a decent one.
*180 gal Display, 100 gal basement sump, 33 gal refugium, 3x250 MH, 2x160 VHO actinics, zoos, some softies, LPS & lots of acros and other SPS.
*100 gal prop tank plumbed into main system w/ 2x96 PC lights and 1x150 MH,
ellisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 12:04 AM   #7
Whats wrong with dechlored city water? Its tap water made for drinking. I do NOT want to go to the store every time I need more water and I dont want to spend $$ on a RO unit.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:05 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy
I have had good luck with my setup. I filled mine up with tap water. Cycled with a damsel. Only have 5lbs of LR. Using filters....

Maybe I got lucky. I have 0 nitrates also. No algea at all. I must be magical.
38 gal SW, CC, 40lbs base rock, 5lbs live, emporer 280, bio-wheel 330,tronic heater, 2 O. clowns, 1 firefish.

29 gal FW, boring...soon to be salt I think.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
AR15 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 12:07 AM   #9
That what I was wanting to know.
Ill use tap water then and dechlor it each time.

Eventually replace with a better Protien Skimmer too.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:13 AM   #10
62 Kudos to you for all your help!

die, died

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com