Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-04-2004, 04:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok, I am really sick of this...

My skimmer broke down about 6 months ago which started a cyano problem. When I replaced it with an aqua c remora pro it cut it back quite a bit. The past three weeks it has been rampant! It is covering everything! The coralline, the sand my live rock etc. My tank has been set up for over a year with no major problems. All of my fish and corals are healthy. All my levels are great!

The only thing I can think of is that about 6 weeks ago my motor broke. It took a day to get another one but I areated the tank with some extra powerheads. I did notice yesterday that I have extra bubbles all over the slime. Also, my O ring for my skimmer seems to have broken. It is still sitting at the same position as it was before, however. Any ideas? TIA

"So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems...And God saw that it was good" Gen1:21
bizzybeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 04:57 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What about your lights? What kind of setup do you have? When was the last time you changed your bulbs? I have read that bad bulbs can cause cyano to run ramped. In fact, i had a bad cyano outbreak a few months back, where is was sucking that stuff out daily and not getting ahead. I dosed my tank with Red Slime Remover and changed my bulbs. I havent had any cyano in my main tank since. However, i have it on the outside of my Skimmer, which is in my fuge were i run a 65w plant light from Walmart 24/7.

Old 07-04-2004, 10:26 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cyano is typical brought upon by poor water flow and excess nutrients. You said you added another PH, but is this enough? Are you getting good flow all around the aquariums including the bottom?

Also, What do you feed and how often? If your nutrient import is greater than your export this will also cause a problem.
Old 07-04-2004, 09:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I replaced the motor the next day. The pump was out not even 24 hours. Lighting is a good question. I have 2 175 watt halides on a 65 gallon tank supplemented by 2 actinics. They will be a year old in August. Could that be it?

I was wondering if my skimmer is operating properly, there seems to be bubbles which are sticking to the slime. What is red slime remover and can you use it with corals?
"So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems...And God saw that it was good" Gen1:21
Old 07-04-2004, 09:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oops, I forgot to mention that I have not changed the feeding. I feed them 6 days a week once a day and vary the food. I only feed them a very little bit. They finish it within 30 seconds.
Old 07-04-2004, 09:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would say there's a good chance your bulbs need replacing.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 11:37 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Chemi-clean, Boyd Products, will kill it and is reef safe.

Tags
ick, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com