Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-02-2016, 09:41 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I tried to place them back in the exact spot I had them in. I recently re did my scape to give them more light because they were thinning out so much in hopes to help.

Hopefully all is well today and I'll get some time to retest

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 04-02-2016, 01:54 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Ok. I retested in a bright lit window and feel confident in my results.

Calcium:430
ALK: 9 dkh
Mag: 1420

I usually like to keep my tank at

Cal: 420
ALK:10 dkh
Mag:1400

This doesn't seem much of a difference to me.

I did however recalibrate my ph probe as well.

Before recalibration my PH was reading 8.35 and after recalibration got reads 8.08.

I've checked and dipped for pests (I know 1 dip may not get them all) and the vermetid snails are being completely removed when I see them.

Can it be possible that my daily PH swings are too drastic? Wouldn't that affect the whole tank? Could my zoas have some sort of infection? Should I reduce lighting? After all I did move and reposition them.

Old 04-02-2016, 02:12 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Also do you think that maybe they were too close to my mushroom?? Aren't mushrooms toxic?

Old 04-02-2016, 02:51 PM   #14
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

All coral is toxic , doubtful mushrooms had any effect on the zoa's, address all your parameters to see what isn't right , retrace your steps did you start doing anything different , it could be something simple that your over looking
Old 04-02-2016, 06:02 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

The only recent changes were moving some rocks around and using holdfast and Nyos reef cement. And different lighting hitting the zoas from moving rocks. Aside from that nothing's changed besides ph. But this issue started before awhile ago and was the reason why some of the changes happened in the first place.

Someone suggested using Chemiclean on the tank or as a dip for the zoas. They said it helps take care of any bacterial problem they may be having. I won't say I'm really against chemicals or things like that but I do take pride in the fact that I haven't used any as of yet. Personally I don't want to either especially because who knows if it'll help

Old 04-03-2016, 06:16 PM   #16
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Chemiclean will always mask the problem but that wont solve the problem , finding the problem and addressing it head on is always a better practice , Chemiclean is the easy way out . covering the problem never fixes the problem.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:40 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

That's one of the reasons I don't like using chemical fixes. So far after the dip in CoralRX I've just left them to be in their new spot. Today I think they look a bit better. I'm still monitoring my parameters.

The only other thing I can think of..which I don't know if it'll sound crazy or not.

Sense the season change sunlight hits my house slightly differently. So now I have the intense direct sunlight coming through my front door window like last summer and hits the center of my tank where these zoas used to be. Sometimes this happens for a couple hours. Last summer I covered the window on the front door and I haven't yet this year. I wonder if they got fried from the direct sunlight?

Old 04-03-2016, 06:53 PM   #18
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

what do you think they get out in the ocean , most of my corals thrive more with more light , I don't get direct sunlight but Lots of sunlight shines on the tank ,
my problem is temp in the summer can get rather hot ,
Old 04-03-2016, 07:10 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Well yeah in the ocean they are used to the sunlight. But in my tank they only get LEDs run at 40% power. And from the angle the sun would hit the tank they won't be getting much protection from water depth either. Even if they are found in shallower water I guess my thought is they are acclimated to the extra intensity of the light?

I mean I can see it as being a possibility sense I've tested my parameters 4 times in the last couple days..I recalibrate my ph probe..dipped for pests 2 times now and checked again for vermetid snails. My arms are as clean as they ever were going into the tank. Nothing new or different has entered the tank except the aquascape cement and epoxy and I don't think it was that.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:36 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Just an update.

I haven't added any chemicals or anything different to the tank to try and solve this problem. Just been monitoring my parameters everyday. The zoas definitely seem to be making a recovery. I'm still not sure what happened to them. My only explanation are the vermetid snails and the excessive direct sunlight on the colony.

Tags
zoas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com